5 days in tuscany

1poke

Hi

we are 3 single women and would like to visit tuscany on october. we are imagining a place to stay like in stealling beauty (probably it was lucca, i am not sure). the accomodation will be in anywhere in tuscany but in a farmhouse. we would like to bike, enjoy good food and wine and to meet people.
anyone recommend any place to accomodate or any suggestion is appreciated, thanks in advance
didem

I'd recommend Chianti for the views and countryside!

Ciao Didem,

Do you think you will rent a car to move around during your stay? It will make a big difference in opening up places farmhouses out in the countryside where you can only get to with your own transportation as opposed to needing to stay in a town along the train lines to be able to move about with public transport.

"Stealing Beauty" was shot in a magnificent setting not far from Siena in the Chianti wine area between Siena and Gaiole in Chianti. You definitely need a car to stay in this area, as there are no train tracks that cross the center of Chianti and bus service is limited (for example, between Siena and Gaiole there are only about 4 buses that go there and back each day. It is still doable, just as long as you keep note and plan days accordingly.

So keeping that in mind, I'd suggest you start your search by looking at the farmhouses on this page: http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/chianti-farmhouses/
They are located throughout Chianti, all with incredible views of the vineyards and surrounding countryside. Some are actually easier to reach with public transport (for example, Fattoria Viticcio is right outside Greve in Chianti which has a good amount of daily buses from Florence).

Most do require your own form of transport, since they are out in the middle of the countryside.
If you have any questions about any particular properties, feel free to ask since we get a lot of feedback on these properties.

Hi

we are 3 single women and would like to visit tuscany on october. we are imagining a place to stay like in stealling beauty (probably it was lucca, i am not sure). the accomodation will be in anywhere in tuscany but in a farmhouse. we would like to bike, enjoy good food and wine and to meet people.
anyone recommend any place to accomodate or any suggestion is appreciated, thanks in advance
didem

Hi Lourdes,

I will be visiting Italy with my wife in September. We are planning to stay 3 nights in Rome, then travel through Tuscany (we have 4 nights available) and then to Florence, staying 3 more nights. We would appreciate your recommendations as to where to stay and what to do during the 4 nights from Rome to Florence. Perhaps staying in a beautiful city and use it as a base to travel around.

We are not sure we want to rent a car, since we have heard that is not easy to drive in Italy. I don't think I have a problem in driving in secondary roads, but I would not like to drive in big cities or roads.

While being in Florence, is 3 nights more than needed? shall we plan to visit other places around Florence?

Thank you very much for your help

Absolutely by car!

Hi Lourdes,

I will be visiting Italy with my wife in September. We are planning to stay 3 nights in Rome, then travel through Tuscany (we have 4 nights available) and then to Florence, staying 3 more nights. We would appreciate your recommendations as to where to stay and what to do during the 4 nights from Rome to Florence. Perhaps staying in a beautiful city and use it as a base to travel around.

We are not sure we want to rent a car, since we have heard that is not easy to drive in Italy. I don't think I have a problem in driving in secondary roads, but I would not like to drive in big cities or roads.

While being in Florence, is 3 nights more than needed? shall we plan to visit other places around Florence?

Thank you very much for your help

Hi Jose Maria,
sincerely I always suggest visitors to move around Tuscany by car, the roads are not so bad as you think, not as much as the public transportations, which are often unreliable.
Anyway, it depends on what kind of holiday you have in mind.. By train or by bus you can reach only the main cities, like Siena, Florence, Pisa.. but you will not able to visit other Tuscan cities or beautiful areas of the region such as Chianti or Valdorcia. The car is absolutely the only way to really experience Tuscany, its landscapes, its hidden small towns and its countryside!

By train, you can stop and spend one night in Arezzo, Siena and after Florence, in Pisa.

I think 2 nights in Florence are enough to enjoy the city and visit the main attractions. However Florence has many things to offer, you won't have any problem to find something new to do or to see if you decide to stay one more night in the city!

If you have any other questions fell free to ask me! :)

Sara