girls week away in May 2015

juicykiwi

I am trying to arrange a get together with my best friend who lives in England and I live in Australia to meet up in Tuscany for the second week of May 2015. We both have been to Italy before. We will most likely rent a car but we want somewhere where we can walk to a cafe for coffee and restaurants for dinner, sit outside of our accommodation drinking a lovely bottle of wine, venturing in the car to many places in Tuscany. Not sure on accommodation as we probably like to eat out a lot but also like to have food where we have nibble on. Anyone have any ideas we probably don't want somewhere too isolated though but not in the hub of loud cities etc. Really appreciate anyone's help.
Thanks

week in May 2015

Buongiorno!
there are a lot of lovely places around our little village (Sovicille, 13 kms from Siena), a lot of beautiful walks, restaurants and interesting places to visit.
If you need more details, get in touch with us, we'll be happy to help you.
info@prolocosovicille.it

Montespertoli

Hello!
I advice you to spent your holiday in Montespertoli.
Montespertoli is a village situated in the heart of Tuscany, at only 25 km away from Florence and at an equal distance from Siena, Pisa, Volterra and San Gimignano; if you rent a car it's easy from here to reach all main Tuscan cities.
Montespertoli is surrounded by gently hills, majestic crests, vineyards, olive groves and woods which offer the possibility to enjoy the typical Tuscan landscape and hike on horse or on foot (very interesting is "the route of Castiglioni" considered an open air museum).
Very interesting is also our Museum of Sacred Art, in which veritable treasures are preserved: a Madonna by Filippo Lippi and also valuable decorations, silverware and vestments. All around Montespertoli you can enjoy buildings dating back to the Middle Age and to the Renaissance, such as old churches and famous castles.
Montespertoli is also rich in cafés, restaurants and cellars which offer the opportunity of wine and local food tasting, and shops to satisfay any kind of necessity and curiosity.
hope to see you in Montespertoli!

For any other information write us: touristofficemontespertoli@gmail.com

Ciao !
We can recommend Maremma, very nice area with fabulous sea near archaeological sites and cities of art (100 km Siena, 150 km Florence and 200 km Roma), village as Scarlino (where I have a farm www.lamulattiera.com) Castiglione della Pescaia, Follonica and Gavorrano.
Have a good day !
Massimiliano

Ciao!

All of the suggestions given above are good, although Maremma might be a further away from a central location. Since you've both been already, will have a car, you can certainly also decide to enjoy this beautiful area of Tuscany, really just depends what you want to do in general.

Another suggestion would be to base yourself near or just outside San Gimignano, if you want to be close enough to a small town/village that offers a lot of choices for dinner, coffee, etc.. you can stay at a B&B or a farmhouse with either rooms or apartments. A place that has both rooms and apartment would give you the best of both worlds, having a kitchen for any snacks or quick meal you might, then eating out the rest of the time. Take a look at this page - http://discovertuscany.com/san-gimignano-accommodation/ - for places around San Gimignano. Casolare di Libbiano might be a good option, although you do have to drive into town, while the Niccolai residences toward the bottom of the page are walking distance into town.

Another great option would be to stay near Volterra - there are really many charming towns all across the hills, so as long as you find a place you like and it is close enough to town, you'll have found something that meets all of the things you are looking for.

Have fun planning the trip, sounds like it will be a lot of fun!

Many thanks

Thank you all for your help, I will definately look into all the options u have given me.
Cheers

Hello

Ok, I have confirmed date as I will be meeting my friend in Pisa with a rental car for the week exploring Tuscany and all that she has to offer.
We would like to stay in a small town that is walking distance to cafes, restaurants, where we can sit out side drink a glass of wine and enjoy the small town. Walk to markets to pick up fresh produce and go to a cafe. Many places are outside of towns where you have to drive or reply on the owners food. Any help would do, I have look at some of the places you referred but couldn't find anything in town locally.
Looking forward to what you can come up with, thanks so much
We are arriving 9th may for 1 week :))

linda

Ciao Linda,

That's great that the week has been set, that you're proceeding with travel plans!

Yes, many places are located outside of town, particularly if you want a villa or farmhouse with pool. Even those that are often not far outside of town would make you walk along dark roads at night - so a walk into town would be fine during the day, but I wouldn't recommend doing that after dark, just for safety reasons.

San Gimignano is a good compromise, in particular, the Niccolai residences listed toward the bottom of this page since I've seen them and know they are within walking distance to town. I'd recommend those as a starting point, had you seen them? Other towns you can browse on here include Certaldo, Monteriggioni, Colle Val d'Elsa, Volterra, Greve in Chianti, San Donato in Poggio - but here I'd often just recommend to plan to stay within the small towns so you have more liberty as far as moving around without need of a car in the evenings. All are really central so you can drive around for trips around during the day, then be local in the evenings.