Getting to Scarperia from Florence for the Renaissance Fair

lillam

We would like to go to Scarperia from Florence on Sunday, September 8, for the Renaissance Fair. It doesn't look like the SITA bus runs that day. Is there any other way to get to the town center? Is the fair only on Sunday?

Ciao Lillam,

I don't have good news yet... I was able to find one bus from San Piero a Sieve on Sunday at 5:40pm but none to get back... and the Palio di Diotto on September 8 is an event in Renaissance costume but is separate from the Renaissance Fair (so there are extra days in Sept for the fair, generally an entire weekend...). I need to find the dates for that because there are buses on Saturdays!

At the moment, I've tried calling the local tourism office but got no answer so I sent an email, I'll let you know what I find out for you! Maybe they offer special bus runs for Sunday, but I'm not so sure... but before being negative on all fronts, I want to get official confirmation and the dates for the fair ;)

I got additional info from the tourism office in Scarperia and they confirm that unfortunately there are no additional buses available for the Diotto event on Sept. 8, at least not for this year. Unfortunately, service is not great at all on the weekends year round, even for residents.

They suggested getting to San Piero a Sieve and from there taking a taxi: you can call any of these numbers: taxi “Azienda Greco Roberto”: 055-846251 OR 335-374104 OR 335-458427

They also confirmed that the Renaissance fair is the weekend of August 31 and September 1... will you be here already by then?

We are going to be in Florence September 4 - 13. What about the Ante Diem Sanctae Crucis in Lucca? Will that be held this year? Thanks for your help!

For the medieval fair in Lucca, that's a big mystery. After three years of it being part of the annual September festivities to celebrate the Holy Cross in Lucca, it wasn't held in 2012, it seems for economic reasons (found the news here: http://www.dilucca.it/archivio-noti...-diem-sanctae-crucis-la-rievocazione-tagliata).
I wasn't able to find confirmation for this year on the city website but instead found a hotel publishing dates from the 8th to the 13th of September: http://www.universolucca.com/en/events/ante-diem-sanctae-crucis.html

I'd suggest you keep checking on the Events page of the city of Lucca here:
http://www.comune.lucca.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/IT/IDPagina/1704
around the beginning of September when they will have added more events... I can tell it isn't complete yet for the month, as all of the events around the Holy Cross celebrations have not been posted yet.
If it will be held, it will for sure be added on there.

Are there any other festivals/events you recommend for the two weeks we will be in Florence? We are already planning on the Florence Festival of the Lanterns, Lucca Luminera, the Panzano Wine Festival and the medieval fair in Lucca, if they have it this year.

Mmm, you've got the main big ones covered.... some other ones at that time are always on the weekend and just local food "sagre", often related to wine and local products. Once you're here, just always stop at the local tourism offices to pick up any additional info they have. Many of the local events are not publicized on the web at all, and even then, only a few days or a week beforehand so the best tip is just to go ask once you're here!