About Flea Market

Sylvain

Hello, I'm Sylvain from France. Next july, I'll go in vacation between Sienna and Firenze. I'm looking for flea market (second hand market). How can I do to know the calendar for this ?:confused:

Season greetings

Flea Markets in Florence and Siena and other suggestions

Dear Sylvain,

these are some suggestions regarding markets around Florence and Siena.

Florence: in Piazza dei Ciompi stands the traditional "Mercato delle Pulci" (Flea Market) opened from Monday to Saturday from 9.00 to 19.00. You can buy furniture and other objects from the past, prints, coins and jewelery.
Every Tuesday from 8.00 to 13.00 at Cascine Park takes place Florence weekly market where you can find affordable clothes, shoes and more apparel. There are also second-hands clothes.
In Piazza Santo Spirito every morning from 8.00 to 13.00 there is a small market where you can find clothes and food. Also every second Sunday of the month from 9.00 to 19.00 takes place Oltrarno flea market of second-hand furniture, books and other objects.

Siena: every third Sunday of the month from 9.00 to 19.00 in Piazza del Mercato there is a flea market where you can find collectable and other second-hand objects.

On your way from Florence to Siena you can stop to Greve in Chianti. Every third Thursday of the month takes place a night flea market from 18.00 to 23.00.

I'd like to point out other two flea markets in Tuscany. They are not on the way between Florence and Siena but certainly deserving a visit.

The largest and maybe oldest Antique Fair takes place every first Sunday and Saturday before all day long in Piazza Grande in Arezzo. If you have time Arezzo is a very nice city with beautiful frescoes by Piero della Francesca and the House of Vasari. It is equally distant from Florence and Siena (about 80 km) and is well connected to Florence by train.

The second suggestion is Lucca Antique market that is every third Sunday of each month and Saturday before. It takes place around all the city center enclosed within the ancient walls. You can easily reach Lucca by train or by car from Florence. Lucca is very beautiful and it really deserves a visit. I strongly suggest you rent a bike and make a tour over the walls and admire Lucca's panorama.

I suggest you'll check Florence Tourist Board Office website (Apt Firenze) while you'll be here in July so that you can have a look at other markets. In fact at the moment the events' calendar for July 2010 has not been published yet.
You can also get back to us before your vacation ,so that we can have more information about flea markets around Florence and Siena.

I hope it helps for the moment. If you are looking for something more specific post it back and I'll look for more suggestions.

I wish you a Merry Christmas :D