www.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: free parking just outside Florence

Any of those days will be ok but remember that August 15th is a national holiday, which will mean lots of things are closed everywhere.
    Just know that the Uffizi, Accademia and other museums in Florence are actually open, so coming in to Florence on that day might actually work out well if you don't want to spend the day at "home" at your B&B or apartment relaxing by the pool .
    I think it will be a quiet day because if it continues to be this warm, lots of people will take long weekends because of the holiday (or the entire week off) and leave Florence toward the seaside and beaches. So you'll find less people in town - expect to find more visitors like you than locals ;-)

Piazzale Michelangelo would be a great place to park for your day trip, and walk down into the center. The spots there are almost always full.... BUT people are constantly stopping just for the view and then taking off --- just have a little bit of patience and wait for someone to free up a space or head back along the viale michelangelo and park along the street.

You can get more tips for parking here:
    http://www.visitflorence.com/florenc...-florence.html

Hope this helps!!
    What to see in Tuscany? Check out ideas on our main website DiscoverTuscany.com!!

Stay updated: FOLLOW us on Facebook!

Thanks Lourdes!

Would it be easier to park on the streets with it being a bank holiday?

How early in the morning would you have to arrive for there to be plenty of spaces in p.Michelangelo or is it full 24/7?

actually since it is a bank holiday, if you find street parking anywhere feel free to park there, I am pretty sure holidays, like sundays, parking is free! ;-) just stay out of the ZTL area!
    What to see in Tuscany? Check out ideas on our main website DiscoverTuscany.com!!

Default Parking in Florence

Hi,

I know you have answered many questions about parking in Florence and I am sorry to trouble you with the similar question again. I have read many posts about free and paid parking that you wrote and questions from other people but I feel safe if I can double confirm with you again.

I will be traveling by car in Italy and will be driving from South into Florence. I have booked a hotel near Piazza di Signoria which I believe is a traffic restrict area.

I have sent inquiry to the hotel about parking. There is one near the hotel which costs 25 euros per day which I am willing to pay. The problem is we won't know the plate number until the day we get the car (11/14). Our check in day is 11/24. Do you think this is enough for the hotel owner/police to process car number to remove on the list?

If the parking near the hotel or the plate number thing fails, which paid parking which is not in the traffic restrict zone, will be the easiest one to access to the hotel and how? I am looking at Sansovino parking but I can't find the tram map and not sure whether this is easy to access to my hotel. Since my family and I will have three heavy suitcases, I would appreciate it if you can tell me the parking where it goes to my hotel in one ride. Thank you very much.

Ciao lulu (that's my nickname in spanish ) Not a problem, always happy to help with these types of questions!

I can confirm that Piazza della Signoria is definitely in the limited traffic area.

As far as the parking goes, you shouldn't have any problems with having enough time to send the license plate to the hotel. Just send them an email, tell them you are arriving on that day and that's your license plate number so that they will communicate it to the police and you'll have permission to enter the center and head to the hotel to drop off luggage and then on to the garage.
    Giving them the license plate ahead of time just gives them more time to do the communication - most actually do it on the day of arrival, and work to cancel the fine rather than preventing it, so you should be fine. Just make sure to remind them when you check-in that you sent the license plate, in case they need to recheck that they've done the communication.

If you want to leave the car outside of the ZTL area, the best one for you would be the parking lots at Piazza Beccaria/Sant'Ambrogio (they are 2 separate lots) since there are two small buses that depart from Piazza Beccaria and head toward the center. Bus C2 stops on Via Condotta, just 1 block to the north of from Piazza della Signoria, while bus C3 stops right before Ponte Vecchio, right by the Uffizi Gallery so also 1 block to the south of Piazza della Signoria. Both would be the best choice for you to park and then get to the hotel, if you don't want to drive in....

Just so that everyone knows, the Sansovino lot is perfect, with the tram stop right in front of the parking lot.... but it takes you the SMN train station. So for others, it might be better if they are close to the SMN train station.... but in your case, it is still a 10 min walk to Piazza della Signoria and with luggage I think the other lots in Beccaria are better. So it all depends on where people are heading!

Default Parking in Florence

Hi,
    My girlfriend and I are planing to do a trip around Tuscany by cycling. We will came to Florence by car. Does anybody knows a good parking spot for 5 days (safe and cheep - free is an option )? Sunnday till friday...
    It can be somewhere around Florence as well.

Thank you all for recommednations!

Grega and Tina

Hi Lourdes,

Thanks for your excellent summary of parking options in Florence. I'd appreciate your help with some questions:

• It looks as if Piazzale Michelangelo can be a difficult option at some times of year. How busy would you expect it to be (i.e. how difficult to find a parking) during the evening in early May?
    • The next best option seems to be at the COOP supermarket off Viale Nenni. Since it's a store parking lot, do you know if one can park there overnight without problems from the management? Also. my reading of the tram schedule is that the tram into Florence runs at intervals of about 6 to 10 minutes, ending just after midnight. Does that seem correct to you?
    • How significant is the risk of theft (from the car, or of the car itself) for overnight parking in either of these locations?

Brendt

Ciao brendt,

Glad you're finding the information useful. My recommendations for May would be to head to the Piazzale and see if you find space, depending on the time you might find it busy or in any case find something relatively quickly (turnover is fast, many go see the view, leave in 15-20 min).
    If you don't find anything there, then I'd also look below the Piazzale. The easiest way is to head down the Viale Michelangelo toward Piazza Ferrucci and at the stoplight turn left on to Via dei Bastioni. You might find street parking there. Remember that street parking you can park on is marked with BLUE lines (the white lines are for residents, don't park there). These are FREE between 8pm and 8am so if you're looking just for parking at night, you can look for parking closer to where you might be staying. Street parking, and overnight parking at the COOP is fine, just don't leave suitcases or anything that might call unnecessary attention to the car. If you park at the COOP, feel free to leave it closer to the store rather than far away.
    Yes, you're reading the tram schedule correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by Lourdes View Post
    Glad you're finding the information useful. My recommendations for May would be to head to the Piazzale
    Yes, you're reading the tram schedule correctly!
    Thanks Lourdes, much appreciated.

Brendt

Default park in Piazzale Michelangelo

Hello,
    we are going to visit Florence soon in April, but I have just heard that they closed the park in Piazzale Michelangelo and that this place is no longer accesible ? I would be very grateful if someone can confirm that or I'm just wrong....
    thank you very much for your help,
    best regards from Kraków, Poland
    Aga

Share and Bookmark!