www.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.com

Thread: Duomo/Campanile/Baptistery

Default Duomo/Campanile/Baptistery

Hi, everyone! In planning my trip to Italy, I read somewhere that the Duomo, or Santa Maria del Fiore (or the dome, tower or museum or batistery) is closed on September 8. I know the museum is closed until October, 2015. But, can anyone confirm if the church etc are closed on that Tuesday? If it is closed, I wonder why! Thanks.

Ah! Is this why: It is the feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. 8th September is the Birthday of the Blessed Virgin Mary, patron of the cathedral, dedicated to St Mary of the Flower, i.e. the lily, the symbol of Florence. Now, I guess parts of the cathedral are open? and Baptistery, dome, and tower are closed, as well? I guess I will schedule that visit for another day!

Sorry I hadn't seen this earlier Kparis - that is precisely why Sept 8th is special for the cathedral.

That day, if I remember correctly, the climb up to the dome is not possible but there is a special opening of the TERRACE that goes around the cathedral so you can do that, it is also free.

But I don't remember if the cathedral itself is closed, actually I don't think so... because at one point you walk in behind the main rose window and you can look down into the cathedral and I've taken pictures and I remember there were people below.
    Also keep in mind that lots of changes are going on with the monuments connected to the cathedral, as work on the Opera del Duomo museum continues. With the change of tickets into one single ticket, they have changed a lot of the hours as well - so it might be possible that once you're here you'll discover everything is open. For now, the official site - http://www.ilgrandemuseodelduomo.it/ (the site itself a recent, very pleasant new addition) - is NOT showing any of the monuments closed on Sept 8th, but I remember in the past several being closed (dome, baptistery) but it could be that this year they won't. I will have to go and see!
    What to see in Tuscany? Check out ideas on our main website DiscoverTuscany.com!!

Stay updated: FOLLOW us on Facebook!

Ciao, Lourdes! Thank you for the information. To be safe, I have decided to visit the Duomo, Baptistry, etc on a different day. My trip and itinerary are shaping up nicely now!

Share and Bookmark!