April 30, 2016, 11:48 PM
HELP! We did not know May 1st was a holiday!
Based on the weather during the week, we chose to leave our visit to Florence and all the museums (one of our MAIN reasons for visiting Tuscany) until the last full day of our vacation. Sunday, May 1, when rain was expected. Who knew it was a National Holiday? Yikes. This is a disaster. Can anyone tell us what we can do in Florence on May 1st?
Vinci is also an option for us, but again....not clear regarding what is open on this National Labor Day. Thanks in advance for any detailed help you can give. Short of visiting a million websites and checking hours, which could take all night, I'm at a loss. It's already 11:30 PM.
OOPS!!! It is international Labor Day so most countries celebrate it (except for the US who has it in September). Will you be here tomorrow as well? The Uffizi and Accademia will have special openings tomorrow.
You can see our blog post with the museums that are open today:
here's the part you're interested in:
Free entrance and special opening on May 1st for these:
– Bargello Museum – 8.15am-2pm
– Medici Chapels – 8.15am-2pm
– Palazzo Davanzati – 8.15am-2pm
For all three, last entrance is by 1:20pm.
Other museums open on May 1st (with paid entrance; civic museums free on this Sunday only to local residents):
– Palazzo Vecchio – 9am-11pm
– Novecento Museum – 9am-7pm
– Santa Maria Novella – 1pm-5.30pm
– Brancacci Chapel – 1-5pm
– Bigallo museum – 9.30am-12.30pm
– Palazzo Strozzi – 10am-8pm – Exhibit “From Kandinky to Pollock”
– Boboli Gardens – 8.15am-6.30pm * special opening *
– Last Supper Andrea del Sarto – 08:00-14:00
– Gardens at Villa a Castello – 13:30-18:30 (last entrance 18.00)
– Villa della Petraia – 13:30-18:30 (last entrance 17.30)
– Villa Corsini a Castello – 08:00-14:00 (last entrance 13.00)
– Archeaological National Museum di Firenze – 08:30-19:00 (last entrance 18,15)
– Garden of Villa il Ventaglio – 08:00-19:00
– Museum of San Marco – 08:15-13:50
Note that Accademia and Uffizi ARE CLOSED on MAY 1st but they will both have a special opening on Monday, May 2nd.
These museums will be open on May 2:
– Uffizi – 8.15am-6.50pm
– Accademia – 8.15am-6.50pm
– Boboli Gardens – 8.15am-6.30pm
– Costume Gallery and Silver Museum at Palazzo Pitti – 8.15am-6.30pm
You have saved the day!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I'm most grateful I found this site.
Originally Posted by Lourdes
What did you end up doing? Luckily, the weather was pretty nice all day!