Tuscany bound

ally

I will be coming to Tuscany in early afternoon 18 May and leaving 22 May to drive back home(Pordenone). I have been trying to figure out an itinerary but I am getting overwhelmed LOL! It is a motley crew. Myself and husband my mother(50)my daughter (11) and my son(8months). We are staying in Sovicille and have my car. I have been to Florence. So we are more interested in Siena and surrounding areas. My daughter is very interested in Pisa. So I was planning for one day in Pisa/Lucca. Beyond that I am at a loss. We are not on a tight budget but conservative. Any advice would be great!
Thanks so much Ally

stay near Siena but central location for day trips

Ciao Ally,

So I take it you're stationed on the base in Pordonone and taking a family trip down to Tuscany? :)

How about close enough to Siena - either at Palazzo Malaspina or at Casolare di Libbiano and use that as your base for day trips?
Both are to the west and place you closer to Pisa, making your drive shorter.
You will have 3 full days here, so I suggest the first half you spend it in the local area where you stay at as well as your last day. If you're in either of the two above, you can visit San Gimignano.

On your first full day you can go to Pisa and spend a half day there, then go on to Lucca for the rest of the day. The drive there and back, if you take internal roads, is definitely much more scenic than if you take the FI-PI-LI.
On your second day go to Siena - beautiful town and very different from Florence. The gothic church is beautiful, visit the inside to see the mosaic pavements. You can visit Monteriggioni on your way there or at the end of the day.
On your third day you can head either spend it in Chianti, driving and stopping at the main towns (Panzano, Castellina, Radda, Greve) or head down south of Siena, to the Valdorcia area. The towns of Montalcino, San Quirico, Piena and Montepulciano merit a visit. Both Chianti and Valdorcia offer spectacular views of the countryside and great food. Just have an idea of what you could do each day, head out and remain flexible. You likely won't be able to visit everything, decide as you go. With children, you sometimes have to adapt and just being out should be a great time to spend together with your family! Most of all, have fun and enjoy the days out - hopefully you'll catch great weather and sun :)