sunflowers field in early July 2013

sormaumau

Ciao!

I'll be going to Italy for a week in the beginning of July 2013 and just wonder if it is a good time to see sunflowers. I've seen a lot of great pictures of sunflower fields taken in Tuscany. The only thing is, I'll be alone and travel by public transportation. Could any suggest a great place that I see great sunflower fields while I can get there by public transportation?

Grazie mille!

Cheers,
Sandy

sunflowers all over Tuscany

Ciao Sandy!

Just for general info on sunflowers, you can see this other thread that asked a similar question.... the thing is that with public transportation, your choices are really limited. You need to go out into the countryside, on those 2 lane roads and while there are buses that do those roads, it is really difficult to say with certainty that you'll find sunflowers or not.

Your best bet is if you're in Florence for a few days... there are almost always those sunflower fields right below Bagno a Ripoli, an area you can get to with the ATAF buses. What are your plans in terms of places to visit in Tuscany? Since you say in Italy for a week, how many days in Tuscany or in Florence? There are fields all over the area but they aren't always always there every year, since they rotate the crops.

if you tell me a little more about your itinerary, maybe I can offer better suggestions aside from Florence.

Re: sunflowers all over Tuscany

Ciao Lourdes! :)

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! Indeed, I don't have a particular itinerary for this trip. I just come to spend some time with a friend who lives in Italy / Switzerland. If time allows, I would like to spend 2 days or so somewhere in Tuscany so I can see sunflowers since it seems to be a perfect time to see sunflowers in beginning of July. :)

Done some research online and seems the chance is slim if public transportation is the only choice. Some people mention there are a lot of sunflower fields during the bus ride from Siena to Cortona where they just bump off the bus once they see the sunflowers. Not sure if that is true though... and you are right about the crops rotation.

If it's available somewhere close to Firenze, it would be awesome! =) Look forward to your precious advise. Thanks and have a great day!

Cheers,
Sandy

Ciao Sandy,

I've personally found that most of the times I see sunflowers, they aren't close to bus stops! Not sure about the bus stopping after you've seen sunflowers, buses will only stop at their marked stops and not randomly.

I've also seen lots of sunflowers between Monteriggioni and Staggia and between Monteriggioni and Colle Val d'Elsa near Siena... if they are there this year, the bus that goes from Siena to Volterra passing by Colle would drive by in front. So maybe you could plan to spend a few days in Florence and take the bus out to Bagno a Ripoli, if there are sunflowers then, you'll see them... and another pair of days in Siena from which you can take the bus to Volterra one day and another day to San Gimignano - you'll be going through a lot of countryside and if you pass them on the way there, you know where to stop on the ride back since you'll already have seen where they are! ;-)

Ciao Lourdes!

Once again, thank you so much for giving so much helpful information! =) I'll take my chance and see if any luck. Hopefully the sunflowers are starting to bloom now : )

Best wishes.

Cheers,
Sandy

you're very welcome! hope you see lots of sunflowers - haven't had a chance to drive much out of Florence yet so haven't seen any but the timing should be perfect!

hope you have a great time in Tuscany!!