planning trip to Italy in October

CBliss

We are planning to travel to Italy and I would like your opinion if this itinerary is feasible:
Arrive in Naples-would like to get to the Amalfi Coast to swim in the Med. Sea (do we need a car to get from Naples to Amalfi?)

From Amalfi go to Rome for 2 days (by train)

From Rome to Cinque Terre for 1+ days (by train)

From Cinque Terre to someplace in Tuscany (need to get a car) to do: Cooking class in Umbria, spend day in Cortona, visit winery(s). The amount of days has not been decided yet.

Would like to take train to Florence to go back to Minneapolis

I know that you focus on Tuscany but is this a do-able plan??

October Itin

Buongiorno -

Sounds like a pretty well rounded itin ... not so sure that you can "take train to Florence to go back to Minneapolis" - pretty sure you will need to take a flight back home ;-)

Just teasing.

Rome to Cinque Terre is a bit of a haul - and if you spend the time in Amalfi, not to undercut the beauty of the area - you might want to skip CT and concentrate a bit more on Tuscany. You could also do the opposite - skip Amalfi and do CT. I suggest this so you are not always travelling and can max your time.

If you are looking to visit Cortona, and Umbria then I would suggest you look for accommodations in the Cortona area. This way you have easy day trips to Umbria, Siena and Florence.

Buon Viaggio

Thank you for the great advice. And LOL about the train to Minneapolis!

Do you think that there would be snorkeling available in either Elba or Amalfi in October? Is the water to cold by then?

Snorkeling

Thank you for the great advice. And LOL about the train to Minneapolis!

Do you think that there would be snorkeling available in either Elba or Amalfi in October? Is the water to cold by then?

Actually I am more into SCUBA, and I have doen this at Elba in the fall...of course weather permitting. But I also have a semi-dry suit, so it makes it more comfortable...

I beleive the water might be a bit too cool to dive without a wet-suit. However I know it is possible to rent wet - suits at the sub shops on the island.

Buon Viaggio