Default Home base Milan - 5 days with car....what to do?

We booked a package with a hotel and car in Milan. My husband would really like to see Rome - too far for a day trip? We don't want to spend all of our time in the car but would like to see the Tuscan country side. First time in Italy. Suggestions welcome!

Default Rome and Milan

That is one long drive - you could train it (three hours each way) but it can be a bit costly. You could look at this private tour which would help you get the most out of your time there.

I definitely encourage you to get out and explore - but from Milan anything is going to take a bit of driving, there is just no way around it and it is all on the main highways (so not really panoramic)

You can also look at doing a train trip to Florence and exploring the city of Florence - that is a short trip and not as costly as Rome. This is easily done on your own, and I am sure you would love a day exploring the area. However you can also look into having a private tour to Florence as well.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Florence, Italy

Using Milan as your base, I would do day trips closer to there..... so Lake Como and Lake Maggiore would be at the top of my list ;-) Lots of people also really enjoy Turin, although I'll admit I have yet to go so can't recommend anything specific from personal experience. I have been to Lake Maggiore and to Stresa, which is lovely in the summer!

Other ideas: Parma, Bologna and Verona
    What to see in Tuscany? Check out ideas on our main website!!

Stay updated: FOLLOW us on Facebook!

Share and Bookmark!