Wine tour/Day trip from Florence

Robert S

We will be staying in Florence for 4 days in the end of April. We would like to take a day trip I suppose to the Chianti area but am open to suggestions and would like to visit some wineries, eat some good food and generally soak in the atmosphere. Accompanying us will be our 18 and 21 year old children. I was looking at some group tours but was considering renting a car and doing it on our own. I like the idea of the freedom to come and go as we please, but don't really know where to go, and also will need to limit my tasting in order to drive safely. Any suggestions for where to go to spend a morning and afternoon? Is doing on our own a better idea than a group tour? Thanks

my opinion

Hello,

If you are looking for freedom, a group tour might not offer that as they are usually very pre-planned in order to keep pricing down. I would reccomend either a private tour or just hiring a private driver who knows the area a bit.
As for what to visit, Chianti is a very broad term. Florentine Chianti is usually regarded as the area about 40 km around Florence. Here you will find good wine and a more relaxed countryside experience.
Up to 80 km out is the Classic Chianti area, where the wine is more expensive but slightly better (also depends on personal taste). Both areas have stunning views and plenty of winneries and farmhouses to visit.
I would definetly also visit San Gimignano.

Wine Tasting on your own

Buongiorno,

There are pros and cons for both options - obviously having a tour and leaving the driving to someone else just makes it all the more enjoyable and relaxing for EVERYONE (that includes the potential driver). It also means everyone can have a few extra sips of wine.

Though doing it on your own definitely means that your time is your own and if you want to spend two hours at one place, stop at a newly discovered town or whatever...there is no one prodding you to keep up from behind.

Have a look at this page with a few articles giving you some suggestions about where and how.

I also suggest that you look it a NCC for the day - that is a car with driver - give them an itinerary and then enjoy - have a look at my blog post for Lucca:http://www.discovertuscany.com/blog/fun-in-lucca-includes-wine-tasting-3171/

You can do a search online for NCC Florence and then write them an email for prices. Just let them know how many persons, a rough idea of your itinerary and they will quote you a price. Many times they speak excellent English.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna

Thank you

Thank you both for your suggestions, they are very helpful. I think I'm leaning toward hiring a driver to take us around assuming it can be done reasonably economically as tour include tastings and meals in their costs.

Contacts

Hi -

if you want you can make contact via email with these two drivers for a price quote:

essemazzini@gmail.com

stedop@libero.it

I have used both; they are professional, speak excellent English, they are authorized NCC drivers and they are both located close to Florence so they are close by for a pickup and know the area very well.

Yours,

Donna