May 18, 2016, 04:46 PM
Day trip to Venice - transportation?
Greetings we will be staying at a Villa (Vianci) between Siena & Florence. (late aug) Some of the group want to go to Venice for a day. We are debating train….if so, from Siena or Florence; or via our rental cars (which we already have). Questions:
1) is a day trip really doable - how much time would we have in Venice to explore?
2) advice on transportation?
3) other recommendations/advice in this regard?
4) if an overnight stay is really recommended - advice in this regard?
Many thanks - we are using your site like crazy for our prep.
May 19, 2016, 04:01 PM
1) is a day trip really doable - how much time would we have in Venice to explore? ABSOLUTELY - you can see quite a bit - maybe not enter into everything, but Venice is wonderful just to wander around in. If you want to enter into the churches and Palazzo then looking at having an organized tour. I was just there, and it wasn't even high season - the lines were long.
2) advice on transportation? Personally, I would highly recommend the train...even if you have the car, it just means that you can relax and let someone else get you to Florence. However, if you do decide to drive, it is about a three hour trip - the road is in excellent condition, it costs about 12-16€ in toll charges one way (depends where you pick up the autostrada) and I suggest parking in Tronchetto...well marked and easy to find.
3) other recommendations/advice in this regard? check out my forum post here for more info that you might find interesting: Florence/Pisa/Venice
4) if an overnight stay is really recommended - advice in this regard? I wouldn't suggest it, you can enjoy most everything in Venice without spending the extra money for a hotel.