Rome to Cortona

Choctoi

Hi, we are landing in Rome and have 3 days to spend before we go to our villa in Cortona. We have 2 children aged 6 and 8. We will be travelling at the end of July and think that a day in Rome will be enough, but wondered where on the way to Cortona would be different enough to stop off for a couple of days. Any suggestions please?

A few days in Rome if you've never been before...

Ciao Choctoi,

Have you already been to Rome before? If not, then I actually think you should spend your first few days there. I think Rome deserves at least 3 days. There are lots of things to see: the Vatican museums, St. Peter's Basilica, the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, Castel Sant'Angelo, the Trevi Fountain.... there are lots of sights to see in Rome and it isn't a small city. Kids actually love the Catacombs, you should do the tour of the underground tunnels if you can. The largest and most impressive are the Catacombs of San Callisto.

There is so much to see, so much history to absorb, you really don't want to try since you won't be able to see all this in one day. But if you've already been to Rome, then by all means head out of the city and stop halfway between Rome and Cortona in the region of Umbria - read our blog post about spending a few days in Umbria to get a few ideas of what to visit to decide where to stay for those few days before heading to Cortona.

on the way to Cortona

Dear Choctoi,

I totally agree with Lourdes. If you've never been to Rome spend 2-3 days there and enjoy the beauty of the Eternal City! :D

From Cortona to Rome you can stop in Umbria, as Lourdes suggested, or come directly to Tuscany. If you want to visit another beautiful area of our region, I suggest you visit Valdorcia.

Valdorcia is famous for its incredible landscapes, as well as good wine and food. The Gladiator by Ridley Scott was shot here in Valdorcia.
I recommend you visit Pienza, famous for its particular Renaissance Piazza and for its pecorino cheese; Montepulciano and Montalcino are both famous for their wine production and characterized by beautiful historical centers. If you have enough time, I also recommend you visit Bagno Vignone. This is a small thermal village whose main square is a big thermal pool. I personally love it.

I hope our suggestions help you in your planning - we'd love it if you'll come back and share with us your experience, share tips and impressions with others. :D