July 6, 2016, 09:50 PM
Round trip from florence to Monteriggioni Medival festival
Hello, Im a study abroad student from California who would like to take day a trip Monteriggioni on the 10 of july for the medival festival. I would like to take it by train or bus.
The problems are the times. The festival ticketing starts at 4:30 pm and I would like to stay until midnight. What are the best options for transportation. Im having a very hard time getting round trip information to get to and from florence and Monteriggioni.
I have research and the bus best is the 1301 bus, but Im having a hard time knowing where to purchase the tickets. At the same time, I wouldn't mind taking a train, but walking an hour is a lot or so it seems from Pologini, unless its less than 30 mins.
Im willing to do a bit of taxi as long as its not overwhelming, and cheaper.
I just want transportation to be less complicated as possible, and to buy everything in one go. Thanks!
I also am not in a hotel because I live in a dorm by SRISA and they are not tourist offices.
July 7, 2016, 10:59 AM
I am sorry to tell you but I wouldn't even try to depend at ALL on public transportation on a Sunday.... particularly in the evenings.
Checking timetables - http://www.busfox.com/timetable/?fro...6&time=00%3A00 - you CAN GET THERE even if it takes anywhere from 70-111 minutes (I would go earlier and explore Monteriggioni before the festival starts). But the real problem is getting back.
You won't have a way to get back. The last bus that passes by Monteriggioni (at the small stop below the village) is at 9.24pm on Sundays in the direction of Siena.
Even if you were to catch that bus, you would then have to spend the night in Siena as there are no buses or trains to Florence (the last train is at 9.26pm).
The medieval festival is a lot of fun so I highly recommend it.... so let's see how else you can get there:
- can you get a group of friends to go with you and maybe you can rent a car to get there? or get someone local from your school to take a group of friends out to the festival all together?
- taxi - getting the drive there would be easier but not sure how to arrange it back? it would likely be over 100 euros each way, so not cheap.
- private driver - this would also not be cheap, as I'm thinking you would have to pay for the time of the festival itself so that the driver stays there and is ready for when you want to come back to Florence. I can get you in touch with some we trust to ask for a cost estimate.
- catch a ride - I hesitate to suggest this as a general solution to apply to just anyone. I am sure as a study abroad student, you have heard what happened in Rome this past week and hope you've received additional tips from your school on how to reduce risks and better take care of yourself.
While I consider Italy to be a pretty safe country, you still have to take precautions for your safety as you would anywhere else in the world although accidents can always happen, anywhere.
For this reason, I really don't suggest going on your own, on a Sunday, in the middle of the night, trying to catch a bus, EVEN if there was one!!
SO my last proposal is, given WE (myself, my husband and our 3 year old daughter) were thinking of going this weekend, whether you'd be okay with catching a ride with US!
We don't know times or day which day yet although Sunday was the most likely. If you are open to this, let me know on here sometime today! Also let me know whether you're open to changing day to Saturday.
I was a study abroad student from California myself so I'd be happy to share the day with you... and I assure you are not dangerous psychos that what to do you any harm. I'm also posting this offer just for you, on a public forum so that it is that, public, just in case (hoping there won't be a need for that! Just let me know and I'll get in touch with you for the details.
July 7, 2016, 11:07 AM
I thought it and forgot to add it:
- Uber -- you can try to see what the estimate would be for the private driver. Essentially in Italy that is how it works, it is only licensed private drivers (NCC) that can offer rides on Uber, not random private people.
July 8, 2016, 09:51 AM
going to Montereggioni
I work with Lourdes, Stefano and I know their charming little girl...so just in case you were looking for a character reference: they are super cool and I am sure you would enjoy their company.
Hope you have fun!
July 8, 2016, 10:09 AM
My parents were ok with riding with you if your good on sunday. You can email me about the details. I just want a way so it doesnt load a whole page and waste battery. We can meet at the sm train station.
I cant ride sat as Im in venice today and tommorrow. Sunday Im good
Last edited by Carissa Fei; July 8, 2016 at 10:21 AM.
July 8, 2016, 10:50 AM
Great! No problems, I will contact you by email for all details (and will take out your email from above so you don't receive any spam )
Tags for this Thread