Default Tuscany by train/bus

Hi! Ciao! I am planning my first trip to Italy by rail and would appreciate some expertise. Am I better off keeping Florence as my "base" and doing various day trips or staying in perhaps Siena and going out from there? I am trying to see where the best place to be is to be able to get on trains, buses or schedule tours as I will not have a car. It looks like I could visit Pisa and Lucca maybe on the same day by train; Montepulciano by train, and get to Siena by bus from Florence. San Gimignano and Volterra both seem like they are unreachable for me without booking a tour since they are hilltop towns. Would it make more sense to stay in another area? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and your thoughts on my "home base". I have three -four days planned in my itinerary to explore the area. Grazie! Thank you!

Florence, Italy

Florence and Siena are both good bases if you're going to depend on public transport - make sure to read my article on just that here:

From both, you can take bus to San Gimignano - this article has more details on which ones:

Volterra is a little harder to get to but not impossible - easier from Siena since you can take a bus to Colle Val d'Elsa and then keep going - this old thread has a link to the bus info and schedule: Public Bus Question

From Florence it is easier to visit Pisa and Lucca by train. I'd do both in a day trip.

Montepulciano is harder to reach -- there is a train station nearby but then you need to catch a bus. Or a bus from Siena. A full day trip to make it work.

So maybe it would be easier to divide your time in Tuscany and maybe do 2-3 nights in Florence, then move on to Siena and do another 2 nights there.
    Make sure to allot time to exploring Florence and Siena too!
    Not sure you will have enough time to fit everything in if the total days is 4!
    What to see in Tuscany? Check out ideas on our main website!!

Stay updated: FOLLOW us on Facebook!