www.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catching cabs in Florence

Default Catching cabs in Florence

I know it is unreasonable to expect Italians to speak English, but if I need to call a cab in Florence what are the chances that the taxi operator will be able to take my call. I will be staying in an apartment so will not be able to ask the hotel to call a cab! Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Default easy to call cabs in Florence!

Don't worry, the operators do know enough English to send you the cab. If you're calling from the apartment, they will already know your address (yep, through the white pages directory) and will only ask what time - if you need it right away, they will tell you time it will take for it to arrive to your apartment, which could be 5 min or 10 min....
    if you're calling from a cellphone, just be prepared to say the street address, such as "via san frediano, numero 15" - they also tell you a name of a city and a number -- that is the NAME of the taxi that you'll see printed on the side of the taxi by the front doors. That is a measure of security for you - you know it is the taxi you were expecting, and if someone else has also called a cab around the same time, your way to also say that is the cab that was meant for you and not someone else. So don't be alarmed to hear something like "5 minutes - Milano 25" from the operator, just make a mental note!

Also, if you need a cab in the early morning for ride to the airport, it is best to just call the night before and set the time you want it, that way you already know that around 6am for example your cab arrives without the need to worry about calling. You just head out a few minutes before and you'll likely find it right on time if not before. They are very punctual!
    What to see in Tuscany? Check out ideas on our main website DiscoverTuscany.com!!

Stay updated: FOLLOW us on Facebook!

Default Re: Catching cabs in Florence

Lourdes, do you know how early is "too early" to ask for a cab? On the day we fly home, our flight leaves at 0940. I guess I probably need to check in around 0700, so I'll probably need a cab here at 0630. Is that too early?

Ciao Melany, it isn't a matter of too early to call a cab. You can call in the morning even at 4am or 5am, I just personally prefer to do it the night ahead for the time I want to be out of the house. That way I make myself be ready on time, knowing the cab is ready outside!

6:30am would be fine for calling - maybe 10 minutes before to give it time to get to your place? Cabs don't necessarily come from the nearest stand, but whoever is free and "nearby".
    What to see in Tuscany? Check out ideas on our main website DiscoverTuscany.com!!

Can I know roughly how much is the taxi fare from dei benci/tintori to station SM Novella at 5am? Had to catch a train at 5.45am and im afraid i could not make it if i were to catch a bus. or can I walk from dei benci to the station? will it be dangerous to walk at 5am in florence? Im in a group of 3, 2 girls and a guy.

Thank you

You could walk to the station, Florence is a small city, the historical center is very small and safe. No matter the hour, there are often other people around. My only suggestion as a woman myself is just to stick to the wider streets, avoid the narrow back streets that see less foot traffic. You just want to remain visible and where other people are.
    Via de' Benci/Tintori is right behind Palazzo Vecchio in the end, so from there you head to the Duomo and then to the station --- but the big question is: will you be carrying lots of luggage?
    If you are, I'd just call the cab... it is a very short cab ride, with luggage there are supplements to pay... but I think you'll spend less than 15 euros, maybe even just 10, if you split it by 3, it is very affordable.

We wont be carrying any luggage as we are on our way for a day trip to Rome..So I think walking would not be a problem.Thanks for the info

Then walking would be absolutely really easy, I'd say it might take you 15min tops to get there... and you'll get to see Florence without all the crowds of the day, it should be a great experience in itself!

Default Late arrival

Hi Lourdes,

I have been reading through the forums and I think this is a fantastic information site!

I will be flying into Florence late at night and will have to make a stop to pick up keys near the train station for an apt by the Ponte Vecchio. I speak no Italian and was wondering how much English the cabbies speak and any precautions I should take while travelling with luggage at night?

Also when leaving I will be flying out in the morning and wondering if there are taxi stands near the south side of the Ponte Vecchio?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by LeoK; September 2, 2013 at 07:19 PM.

Ciao LeoK,

Glad you're finding the forum and site helpful!

Cabbies do speak some basic English, I am sure there won't be a problem at all in asking to make a stop along the way.

There shouldn't be a problem with leaving luggage in the cab - but as a precaution, make sure when you jump on to take the name of the cab - it is on both sides of the cab between the front door and wheel and is generally the name of a city and a number, such as "Milano 25". That way if anything at all happens or if you leave something behind, you can always identify the taxi you were on.
    Also make note of the taxi company - the most common is So.Co.Ta. whose number is 055.42.42.... you'll see this on the taxi itself as well. It is perfectly alright to ask the cabbie himself the info, he shouldn't get offended ;-).

If you want, you can write this phrase in Italian down on a piece of paper and fill in the addresses for the stop and for the apt.... and if the cabbie really doesn't understand about the stop in the middle, show it to him!

"Devo andare a ...... (fill in the apartment street address)
    ma prima dobbiamo fermarci a ..... (fill in the street address for picking up keys) a ritirare le chiavi dell'appartamento. Va bene?"

If you're leaving after 7am, there is a taxi stand on
    PONTE VECCHIO - LUNGARNO ACCIAIUOLI - hours are 07 - 01
    If you're leaving before 7am, call the taxi to your apartment... otherwise, you'll find no taxis at the stand and will still need to call one there!

If you need any other tips, feel free to ask

Share and Bookmark!