5 days in Tuscany

estheryeung

Me and my boyfriend are planning to spend 5 days in Tuscany then Rome. Two days in Florence, then 3 days in other places in Tuscany (we have now Pisa, Chianti, Siana, and San Gimignano in mind). However, we are not sure whether we should go for day trip then head back to Florence everyday. And what is the most effective way to travel these places.

All of the places you mention you're interested in are easy to reach by train from Florence except for the area of Chianti, since it is quite large.
You could do 3 nights in Florence, with one day train travel to Pisa and return to Florence, then move out to Siena for the other two nights and from there head to San Gimignano by bus on one of the two days.
You would see a bit of the Chianti countryside as you move about between Florence to Siena and from Siena to San Gimignano.

Otherwise, the next option is to rent a car and use a base, I'd suggest in Chianti, for the entire 5 days. Then you could do day trips to Florence, Siena, Pisa, San Gimignano and of course Chianti's hilltop villages. It all depends on whether you want to drive or not. It isn't too complicated to do so, but does require you to be adventurous enough to drive in a foreign country ;-)

Thank you so much indeed! This is very very helpful! Just one more thing, what will be the best way to go from Florence to Siena, and Siena to Rome.

From Florence to Siena, I'd recommend catching the bus (SITA) instead of the train, it just drops you closer to the center but this really depends on where you're staying.

From Siena, I'd suggest first to consider the train to Rome but some times do have you do some weird routes through Florence so end up taking a long time. So check timetables on www.trenitalia.com and then the bus schedules on http://www.sena.it/ - if the bus takes less time, I'd recommend that.

5 days tuscany

Me and my boyfriend are planning to spend 5 days in Tuscany then Rome. Two days in Florence, then 3 days in other places in Tuscany (we have now Pisa, Chianti, Siana, and San Gimignano in mind). However, we are not sure whether we should go for day trip then head back to Florence everyday. And what is the most effective way to travel these places.

as a native Florentine, i do suggest this beside Lourdes who knows so well this area
it would be good and nice to have a one-two night stay in Siena-S.Gimignano, 'cause you'll be around the area better then have to go up and down by car or else during jam hours or regular traffic...there are many little b&b with good fares -try the one in Monteriggioni managed by the local Church right in the square- or stay in Poggibonsi, small city with hotels ...you'll save money and timeinstead of returning in Florence..find out on tripadvisor or other sites
fabrizio

ciao

From Florence to Siena, I'd recommend catching the bus (SITA) instead of the train, it just drops you closer to the center but this really depends on where you're staying.

From Siena, I'd suggest first to consider the train to Rome but some times do have you do some weird routes through Florence so end up taking a long time. So check timetables on www.trenitalia.com and then the bus schedules on http://www.sena.it/ - if the bus takes less time, I'd recommend that.

hey Lourdes, as i told you before, think about if you could be interested to consider a sort of collaboration to invite foreigners to visit upper side of Tuscany-Mountains- and find good solutions and good/chip fares
let me know
take care and best regards

fabrizio