3.5 Days in Tuscany - Itinerary Questions

jdiaz0530

We are staying in the Chianti region (Montefiridolfi) next week and have one and a half days to explore by car.
Here's what I've planned out...

Day 1 - Pick up car at Pisa intl. and drive to Pisa - see leaning tower then head to Lucca for the afternoon to explore. Arrive at hotel.
OR
Drive to Castelnuevo di Garfagnana to explore, then hotel.
Q: Which should we do?

Day 2 - Day exploring Florence (taking tram in not car into Florence)

Day 3 - Drive SR222 (Greve, Panzano, Castellina), then end up in Siena for the afternoon/evening, then drive back to our origin .
Q: Should we end up in Siena or San Gimignano?
Is there any recommendations of other things to see in the area? Other roads to drive? Better itinerary?

Day 4 - Visit Volterra on the drive back to Pisa Airport

Sound reasonable? Any better ideas?

Thanks you for any advice!!!

We are staying in the Chianti region (Montefiridolfi) next week and have one and a half days to explore by car.
Here's what I've planned out...

Day 1 - Pick up car at Pisa intl. and drive to Pisa - see leaning tower then head to Lucca for the afternoon to explore. Arrive at hotel.
OR
Drive to Castelnuevo di Garfagnana to explore, then hotel.
Q: Which should we do?

Day 2 - Day exploring Florence (taking tram in not car into Florence)

Day 3 - Drive SR222 (Greve, Panzano, Castellina), then end up in Siena for the afternoon/evening, then drive back to our origin .
Q: Should we end up in Siena or San Gimignano?
Is there any recommendations of other things to see in the area? Other roads to drive? Better itinerary?

Day 4 - Visit Volterra on the drive back to Pisa Airport

Sound reasonable? Any better ideas?

Thanks you for any advice!!!

Hi,
It sounds like a very well packed itinerary and I would recommend to light it up a little bit so you can explore these places at a more relaxed pace.
Day 1 - I would vote in favor of Lucca. It is a beautiful town and you can easily spend more than just an afternoon there. We had an opportunity to visit Pisa, but decided against it. I'm sure you will hear lots of "pros" and "cons", but we don't have any regrets as it allowed us to spend more time in Lucca.
Day 2 - Day exploring Florence. Make sure to go up to Piazzale Michelangelo through the Rose Garden and stay for the sunset.
Day 3 - I'd say Siena. I think you will have to plan this day very carefuly as each town deserves at least a few hours and then you'd probably need 4 hours in Siena. If you have time, make a quick stop in Montefioralle, ancient medieval castle neare Greve.
Day 4- We didn't make it to Volterra, but I read a lot of good things about, so definitely do it if there is time.
Have fun!