Thread: Home Base?

Default Home Base?

We'll be in Italy for 15 days from the middle of May. A couple days in Venice, 11 days in Tuscany/Cinque Terre, 2-3 days in Rome.

First question, in Tuscany we're looking for a base, near Florence, from which we can do day trips by car to San Gimignano, Sienna, Pisa/Lucca, Chianti(visit some wineries),Pienza, Montepulciano & Cinque Terre or whatever strikes our fancy. Somewhere we could come back to after our day trips, & enjoy cafes, restaurants, people watching. It would also have easy bus/shuttle access to Florence. Thoughts?

Second question, is a one night stay enough for CT?

Many thanks for your thoughts and comments.

Great website you have here! It's pure magic.

Default some suggestions

HI there! Ciao!

I can reply on the question about Tuscany (you will surely love our region!)

What are you looking for? A B&B, a luxury villa, an hotel?
    If you are looking for a smart place to stay, from which you can easily reach Florence, Siena, Lucca, Pisa, Volterra and San Gimignano, I suggest Pistoia, it's a good base city. It's about 40 km from Florence and 40 km to Lucca, a short trip by car, and it's also a very nice city.
    In Pistoia you can book Locanda San Marco in downtown, or Fienile di Farnia in the countryside (but very close to the city). If you like the ancient buildings and the renaissance atmospehere, choose this one:

If you are looking for something luxury in the countryside, I can only suggest Villa Ciggiano a stunning villa in the countryside of Volterra, near San Gimignano and not so far from Florence.

Or if you are looking for something really refined in Florence, take a look to this hotel in downtown:

Hope you will enjoy Tuscany!

Default Finding the perfect Base

I definitely concur with Riciard and the Pistoia area - it is a picturesque position with easy access to major (and panoramic roads) AND it is often overlooked...which makes it a bit less "touristy." Other accommodation suggestions in the area:

I also suggest that you look a little towards Montespertoli or even towards San Gimignano - both places will keep you in a rather central area but boast of a warm, genuine and friendly atmosphere.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

PS all the links for accommodations will have you booking directly with the owner

Share and Bookmark!