www.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 -14 days alone in Tuscany, rental car or train? Staying in two cities or moving?

As much as I would like to suggest the "go with the flow" mentality, since you are coming in AUGUST, which is PEAK tourist season in all of Italy, I would not choose this method this time around. Maybe if you were coming anytime between October and May, I would.

Two reasons: higher cost for what you find last minute, but also less choice!
    You will have to likely go with what you find, so as to not waste too much time out of your day figuring out where you'll sleep that night or the next. Your time here will fly, trust me, so you really don't want to spend too much of it figuring out where you'll be sleeping that night.

I suggest leaving flexibility in what you do every single day, with an idea of what is in each place you visit and just deciding what to actually do once you're here.

Chianti is not easily doable without a car. You can most definitely divide the week in two, with half of it in Florence and the other part in Siena. From both, you can take day trips by train or bus.
    From Florence, you can take day trips to Pisa and Lucca, as well as into Chianti.
    From Siena, you can take day trips to San Gimignano and the Val d'Orcia.

Chianti and Val d'Orcia cannot either be easily on your own with public transport; for both of those, I would recommend looking into a group tour you can join that will take you there and around. You can take a look at the many possibilities on here: http://www.partner.viator.com/en/8357/ (just do a search).

Leaving Milan towards the end sounds fine, as well as doing it at first. There is no wrong way to go about it really.

One last reminder: keep in mind August 15th is a national holiday, not sure when you are coming so not sure at what point it will fall in your schedule (and if it does). As such, public transport is limited and many shops are closed -- many attractions should be open, but it is also a Monday so if you're in Florence, we don't know yet but the Uffizi and Accademia might remain closed (they are always closed on Mondays).
    What to see in Tuscany? Check out ideas on our main website DiscoverTuscany.com!!

Stay updated: FOLLOW us on Facebook!

Default August 15th in Siena

Lourdes, I should be in Siena I think on August 15th, either in the city or San Gimignano I guess.. Bad idea?

Thanks!

The Palio is in Siena on the 16th so you're in the right place at the right time!! make sure to enjoy Siena on both days, the atmosphere should be great!
    If you want to try SG on the 15th, I checked and there are buses there and back - one at around 10.40am that would work well and a return either at 5 or 7 something (timetables here: http://www.busfox.com/timetable/?fro...6&time=08%3A00 )

If you have the time, I would stay in Siena both days!
    What to see in Tuscany? Check out ideas on our main website DiscoverTuscany.com!!

Default Palazzo bruchi in Siena safe place?

Hi!

I'll stay from 14th to 17th in Siena there so It will be perfect! Can I ask for your opinion on something? Palazzo Bruchi in Siena is already booked via Booking.com but they have availability doing it direct with the, The problem is that they are asking me to send my credit card info vía email and that is not safe at all. Is it a good and known place? It has tons of good reviews but I always get suspicious when somebody wants me to send my credit card info via email. I don't know where else to stay that is a good place, well located, not that pricey (no more than 100 -120 eur per night) and with availability :S Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

Javi

My impression is that as a small B&B they don't have the means to ask for your credit card safely online and that is their alternative proposal. That they didn't put all their rooms on Booking.com just shows they are smart and not turning over the residence to the power of multinationals ;-).

I would suggest send the # by fax instead (it is safer) or, in alternative, by email but in fragments and over several emails. In the unlikely case one was to be intercepted, the whole number is not available!!
    Another alternative is over the phone!

Siena on those days of the Palio is definitely pricey so if you found something that meets your basic requirements, I say go for it!