driving in tuscany

marco_s

We will be staying in Siena as our base in Tuscany for six nights, then driving to Levanto for two nights and then to Florence for one night before heading home. I'm trying to figure out (and would appreciate help) if we should spend a full day each in towns like Montepulciano, Montalcino, San Gimignano. and Pienza or try to see two or three towns in a day before heading back to Siena for dinner and to sleep. I also had the thought of staying only five nights in Siena and staying one night in Lucca, since it's on the way to Levanto- if that makes sense.

We're leaving in about a week and unfortunately, I just came across this site now. But since we haven't made any definitive plans other than spending the six nights in Siena, then moving to Levanto, etc., we do have time to figure out where to go and what to see. We like to walk a lot, eat good food, see historical and archeological sites, museums and art, just to give an idea of our interests. I'm aware of the ZTLs, the parking issues, etc., so I don't really need advice about those.

Thanks for any help.
Marco

Driving Around

Buongiorno,

The town of Siena will keep you busy for an entire day (if not more!)

However, depending on how "in depth" you like to go when you visit you can easily combine a few small towns together when traveling.

Montepulciano - Pienza - Bagno Vignoni

Chiusi - Chianciano Terme - Sarteano - Cetona

Montalcino - Buonconvento - Abbey Sant Attimo

Chianti (Castellina, Montereggioni, Poggibonsi & Staggia)

San Gimignano - since it is more north, is a good place to stop as you make your way to Lucca - maybe include a stop at Certaldo or Volterra. I love the vineyard Pietrafitta (located 6 km outside of SGimignano on the SP1 direction towards the Siena - Florence highway) It has a gazebo set back from the (and a bathroom) roadside where you can do a wine tasting - no appointment neccessary. And if you bring some of the great cheese from Pienza with you, then after the wine tasting you can buy the wine by the glass and enjoy a picnic a the tables provided.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reply. We do plan to spend probably two full days in Siena and drive to see other towns the other four days, returning to Siena each evening and having dinner there so we don't need to worry about drinking wine and then driving.

I'd also like to ask if it would be a good idea to spend one less night in Siena and move to Lucca for one night (maybe stopping in the towns you mentioned) and then move from Lucca to Levanto, from where we'll visit Cinque Terre. Our current plan is spending six nights in Siena and then driving from Siena to Levanto.

Thanks for any help!
Marco

Last edited:
A night in Lucca

Hi -

I would definitely encourage you to spend a night in Lucca. This town is small than Siena - but still very active and busy. Take the time to stroll the streets not only for the architecture, art and history but also for the small shops and boutiques.

It won't take long to get to Levanto, so you might even enjoy taking "the high road" to Levanto which will take you through the Garfagnana - (I am finishing an article now on a possible itin - I will send you the link as soon as it is online).

Or a small detour to Pontremoli and the surrounding area in the Lunigiana area of Tuscany will surprise you with its beauty.

Donna Denise

Thank you so much for your suggestion! We will change our itinerary and spend one night in Lucca. I'm sure we'll be glad we did so!

Marco