Lake Como by train

Poohh66

another question ....
My husband thinks a day trip to Lake Como might be in order, as previously mentioned we staying in Barga, Lucca for 4 nights, however my question is more if perhaps it is recommended that we spend one of those nights in Florence for easier train travel to Lake Como, it looks like train travel from Barga is a longer ride? time wise

we have one night reserved in Florence at the end of our trip and could add another night in order to take a day trip to Como if recommended

your opinions please ?
thanks

another night in lake como

Hi -

it would make things easier for traveling you were departing for L. Como directly from Florence - more trains and less travel time.

Donna

Where are you flying in and out of??

If you want to include Lake Como, I wouldn't do a day trip from Florence -- I would just head to Lake Como for an overnight or two so that you can better enjoy the time there.

we are flying in and out of Florence, and have hotel for the night in Florence the day we arrive as well as the night before departure in Florence.
thanks Lourdes and Donna for your response, you both are great!

Well, you could arrive in Florence, spend the first night, then head north to Lake Como, then head back down and to Barga, then on to southern Tuscany and then back to Florence ;-).

Lake Como is an entire lake, so you'll have to decide where around the lake you intend to go to.... I haven't ever been so unfortunately can't recommend any one place over another specifically, sorry!

Florence to Chianti to Cinque Terre. Should I drive?

Hi, we were planning to do Florence to Chianti region, then head to Monterrosso in Cinque Terre and then to Bellagio in Lake Como where we spend a few nights in each of the above towns.

1. We are thinking of driving from Florence to Chianti, and then using the car around the area because it seems like the best way. But I'm not sure where I can drop my car off before going to Monterosso. Please advise. Also, which is the best station to drive to, before taking a train to Monterosso? We could drive all the way if thats the best? Is that an easy drive?

2. I note above you mentioned that it would be better to go to Como from Florence. From CT to Bellagio, do you foresee any issues? Is there any other recommended travel route. As this is a Tuscany forum, I understand if you can't comment on that.

Thank you in advance!!

CT suggestions

Buongiorno,

If you are going to Monterosso - then drive to Levanto and then if you want you can drive from there directly to Bellaggio - all on major roads (toll roads).

Levanto is a smaller town, and easy train access ... my suggestion, take at least one boat taxi so you can get the full effect of Cinque Terre.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Thank you

Thanks Donna!

We will look to return the car at Levanto and then train to Monterosso.

We won't be driving to Bellagio, we will just train & ferry it.