Need help with train travel itinerary!

Fluff224

Hello, I just found forum & am hoping to get some help in planning a train trip. First off we are 2 couples mid60's that want to travel by train. We have all been to Italy at least once on tours. However, this time we want to plan it ourselves and go to areas we haven't gone. This is a preliminary idea of what we want:

Fly into Milan; see the cathedral & get tickets for Last Supper. Stay 1 nt there or train to Lake Como after seeing the LS & stay for 2 nts.

Back to Milan see the sites if we didn't before. Train to LaSpezia. Stay for 3 nts to enjoy Cinque Terre & coastal towns. Day trip to Lucca.

From there train to Siena & stay 3-4 nts to use as a home base.

Go to Florence where we may part & go elsewhere. Haven't decided where to go afterwards.

So, my question is this is all doable by train? From what I've read it looks like it might work out. ANY suggestions will be greatly appreciated! FYI, we are looking at sometime in Sept. We are leaning toward flying into Milan not sure where we'll be comfortable nt from. It could be that it would work better to reverse & start in Florence.

Thank you!

Trains

Hello,

You can check out the state managed train website http://www.trenitalia.com/
Just type in Departure and arrival destination, date and general time of departure and it will show you what is available and how long the trip will take.

Let me know if you need more specific help,

Leonardo

Training it

Buongiorno,

Using the train in Italy is definitely a viable solution, especially if you have time and are flexible with your hours. I say this not because the trains are late or undependable, but because some areas are not reached as frequently as others. Personally, I have always enjoyed using the trains. Most of the areas you are looking at are not reached by speedy trains (named: Freccia) but you will find that there are major stations in all those areas in Tuscany (and Cinque Terre) so it should be easy to move around. Remember to travel light: there is usually no help in moving your luggage, no trollys, elevators are scarce and the tracks for the smaller towns are many times further away from the main tracks. This article may give you a few pointers: https://www.discovertuscany.com/getting-to-tuscany/by-train.html

After Florence (or if you have already been there) you could look at adding Arezzo to your itinerary. It is right along the train route, the station is in the city center and it would give you the possibility to further travel by train to either Cortona or Casentino.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Thank you both Donna & Leonardo for your responses. Does my intineray make sense? Donna, I will check out the small towns you mentioned from Florence. Since this trip is in the early planing phase, I am eager to look at various ideas. Suggestions are certainly welcome!

As for your itin -

look into taking the train from Milan to Levanto (located above Cinque Terre) - you can read more about this suggestion in my article (http://www.discovertuscany.com/cinque-terre/more-towns-near-cinque-terre.html)
When I go to 5T, I prefer to stay here. It is smaller, romantic, easy to get around and has direct access to the train that goes into 5T.

AND there is a direct train from Milan to Levanto and it travels along the coast for a short bit.

If you are up for the moving around I would suggest two nights in 5T and one night in Lucca (adorable town and worth the stay!) if you head down to Pisa after your night in Lucca then you can catch transport from the airport direct to Siena (Terravision bus) so you won't need to take a train into Florence to go down to Siena. AND it will take you through some nice scenery.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

I located the train from Milan to Levanto for the first part of our trip. Levanto sounds like a good location to be experience the CT & coast. Is Lucca a accessible by train from Levanto? From there Donna mentioned travel by train from Lucca to Pisa to get to Siena. Was that by bus or train, not certain. Sounds like Siena would be lovely for a home base & daybtrips.

I'd like to clear up what Donna said last about getting to Siena through Pisa.

From Levanto (or any other town in CT), you take the train down to Pisa (passing through La Spezia and through Lucca -- so if you move down to Lucca for a night instead of backtracking back north, it would be more convenient to just keep heading south from Lucca).

From Pisa, you would NOT take the Terravision bus to Siena as it only goes to and ends in Florence. You would catch the local buses to Florence, then in Florence transfer to another bus to head to Siena.

You can read the details and see the bus schedule from this page on how to get to Siena from Pisa by train:http://www.discovertuscany.com/siena/tourist-info/getting-to-siena-without-a-car.html

Train

Ciao -

I apologize - there is no Terravision bus (just like Lourdes said) I was mistaken about the direct route.

HOWEVER you could look at taking the train from Pisa Central to Empoli and then into Siena. Personally I prefer to take the alternative routes when going into the country side - especially if it doesn't slow me down. This should take you through a bit of the Chianti landscape - very picturesque.

You can always return to Florence via the other route - that way you get to see both landscapes.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other - I simply wanted to give you a few alternatives for your train ride. However, Levante would defintely be my choice over La Spezia - its smaller, cozier, a nice little beach, a fish market and easy access to both the train into 5T and a boat ride - which is a great way to see the coast.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise