Travel from Siena to Piombino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1960

Hi. We seem to be in a bit of trouble trying to figure out the easiest way to get from Sienna to Piombino. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks

Chris

Getting to Piombino

Buongiorno,

From Siena you can take a bus (137) and the hours and time are here: http://www.tiemmespa.it/var/ezdemo_...lication/19c6f267e91c3d1abd5a1b33b1b2ffca.pdf

However I can find only one departure (7,30ish in the morning)

or you can go by train, which goes thru Empoli - Pisa and then Piombino...it has more hours but seems a bit contorted :( with three change overs!!

http://www.trenitalia.com/ departure Siena - arrival is Piombino.

Personally I would go with the bus...even if it is an early wake up call.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Thanks Donna!

What a great reply. much appreciated. Think we'll do the train but nice to have the bus option. Ok. Another challenge. We are going to Elba and (duh!) booked our train out of piombino via the piombino station to levanto and not the marritima station. Is there much hassle getting to that station frmo the ferry vs. the marritima station?
Cheers

Chris

The Piombino Porto (which I am thinking is what you are calling marittima station as it is the one right at the ferry) is a small connection to the Piombino train station. So once you arrive and get down from the ferry, you can cross and go into the train station and take the short train ride to the Piombino station (it is estimated 15 minute walk, if you were to want to walk it).
You can just buy the ticket for that short ride on the spot before getting on the train - if there is a ticket office, show that you have tickets from Piombino to Levanto, in case they might let you ride that part for free (you never know!)

Otherwise, there are buses from right in front of the biglietteria (ticket office) you can also take to the Piombino train station. Once there, you continue your journey to Levanto.

Lourdes. Thank you so much!

Hi.
Thanks for the info. This is comforting indeed. Based on what you say and Depending on our last night in Elba, we may decide to hoof it...or not; either way it sounds easy. We have perhaps taken on too much for our trip to Italy but looking forward to it immensely. Trouble free train links of course will make things a little less hectic. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.
All the best.
Chris

You should do fine - just remember to take everything with a bit of patience, lots of things work but the "bella vita" is slower than what you might be used to ;-)

Enjoy!!

For the short part from the port to the train station, I think it is unlikely you'll find a car-sharing option for the right time and day. Of course there are many other cars getting off the ferry - but unless you become fast friends over the ferry ride, I would be hesitant to ever encourage you to catch a ride with random strangers, no matter how friendly Italians are ;-).

Status
Not open for further replies.