Help with budget accommodation for solo traveller

GinaP

Hi!
I am going to be visiting Tuscany for 8 days this September. I am a female travelling alone on foot (not driving).
My plan is to fly into to Pisa and then visit Florence for a few days, stay somewhere in the Chianti region for a few days, visit Sienna, visit San Gimignano and then back to Pisa and fly home.
I am planning on staying in hostels in Pisa and Florence, but am unsure what kind of accommodation to look at for the rest of my visit. I am on a budget – max €40 per night. My specific questions are:

1. Where in the Chianti region would be good to go to? Potentially, I will make this my longest stay, so a well situated place would be good so that I could visit other areas by bus/bike. I would also like to stay somewhere I can relax – so nice grounds/swimming pool would be great (but for my budget I understand this may not be possible).
2. In Chianti, Sienna and San Gimignano – where would be the best budget place to stay for a solo traveller (with no car). I like the idea of a B&B or farmhouse, but they all seem very expensive.

Any help you can give me on any of the above would be much appreciated. All suggestions will be very welcome.

Thank you!

mmmm, Chianti without a car is difficult

Ciao GinaP,

I can understand you wanting to see everything Tuscany has to offer regardless of the fact of moving with public transportation and traveling solo. My first impression is that you will be fine with your plans in Pisa, Siena and Florence. I don't believe you should find problems with finding budget accommodation in any of those cities or moving about..... the question I have to think a little about is Chianti because as you've probably already read on this site, it isn't easy to move around Chianti with public transport. And regardless of wherever you are, most farmhouses are in the countryside away from the towns so you often need a car to get to them (smaller towns might have farmhouses within walking distance but the towns themselves might require a car to get to). Add to that the fact that you're traveling solo might not reduce by much the cost of a double room.....
Let me think about what areas might be good and I'll get back to you with some concrete suggestions!!

Thank you so much for getting back to me.
Yes you have said pretty much what I thought...
What about finding a location in the countryside, not necessarily in the Chianti area, but with some close by towns, that are serviced by buses? Can you think of anywhere - maybe near Florence, or Sienna? I can then have a look at any guest houses etc.
Many thanks for your help Lourdes!
Gina