II Cellese - Chianti Farmhouse

Chris

Hello All - I posted several weeks ago about a planned trip to Tuscany this upcoming June. I got some great responses and have made progress planning.

In trying to book a stay at II Cellese (which was recommended here) the proprietor said he had a second farmhouse (not the main one on the website) that had an additional 5 apartments. He said these do not come with the services of the main farmhouse but are quite nice. Although he said the website was not yet setup for this second farmhouse, he did send some pictures.

Does anyone here know of this second farmhouse at Cellese or have any other information. Although the owner has been very helpful, I am a bit nervous about booking considering I cant really find any information/reviews on these separate apartments.

Any input would be great!

I had not heard of a second farmhouse, but I'm trying to understand... it's a second farmhouse on the same property as Il Cellese? so essentially the additional apartments are on the same property but just separate from the main villa? if the apartments are new, it would explain why they aren't yet on the website but it would also seem that you are indeed renting from the same owner in the end... this is if I understand the situation correctly...

I am doing my best to understand as well. So I was speaking with Sergio who is the owner of the main Il Cellese farmhouse (reviewed here and on tripadvisor).

Here was his initial response: "Thanks very much for your request but we only rent weekly ( saturday to saturday ) if you can not stay for soo long we can offer to you one apartment in our second farmhouse located at only 300 meters far from il Cellese for 100€ per night.
If you would like to receive more information or go on with a final booking don't hesitate in conatct me again .
Best regards"

My next question to him was, does this "second farmhouse" offer all the services of the main one and his was response was : "ALL THE APARTMENTS HAS A VIEW BUT IN THIS CASE WE DON'T HAVE ANY SERVICE IN THIS LOCATION, BUT OF COURSE IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO COME TO CELLESE FOR DINNERS ( JUST LET ME KNOW ONE DAY BEFORE EVERY TIME ) YOU ARE WELCOMING !!"

I am really not sure what to make of this. 1) The price seems extremely cheap 2) It is very hard for me to tell what exactly the setup is. From your experience, what is your initial take? Do you think the second farmhouse is more of an "on your own" apartment?

The owner Sergio is very response and I don't get the feeling he is trying to scam by any means, I just want to get someone else's opinion before deciding to potentially book this second apartment.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Ciao Chris,

Thanks for sharing the additional info - my impression is the same as yours, that he isn't trying to scam but just that his English could use a little bit of improvement ;). From his emails, I would understand that the apartments and villa on the main property are all offered as weekly stays so he has restored another farmhouse nearby that he does rent for nightly stays. Then, because the second farmhouse is located away from the main one, when he says "we don't have any service in this location", I understand it to mean that the common services available around the main farmhouse (wi-fi internet, pool, laundry room and restaurant) will be missing from being right outside your front door. He says you are more than welcome to enjoy dinners at the restaurant - since it is only open 3 days a week, I think the reservations are always requested so they know to expect guests, regardless if you're staying in the main property or not.

Rates outside of the main centers do tend to be better per night so I wouldn't bee wary of the rate at all. At this point, to be completely sure we've interpreted his emails right, I believe you could just ask him: what services does the apartment itself have? As long as you've got your independent apartment in a farmhouse with its kitchen, bedroom and bathroom, then it is very common to have the main estate a few hundred meters away as many are countryside farmhouses. If you would love to use the pool, make sure to ask whether you'd have access to it in any case... I think that is one of the main services from the main part that I'd make sure to have access to in June ;)

Do let us know what he replies! :)