10 Day Tuscany Vacation

LiveLifeLove

Hello

We are planning a trip to Tuscany in the late spring and have a question for someone. We are wanting to experience farmhouse and B&B style lodging and are presently thinking Castiglione Fiorentino, Italy and Montepulciano. Could you let me know if these locales would provide the ability to be spread out enough tosee Tuscany and perhaps Cinque Terre and possibly Rome ?( we will be renting a car)

Thank you in advance for your input .

Darren

good base would be more central in Tuscany

Ciao Darren,

Both are good bases but are pretty far south in Tuscany - so whether they are the best totally depends on your planned itinerary for the 10 days. What places in particular are you planning to visit? Maybe a more central location in Tuscany, north of or around Siena, would be more ideal in general. That way Cinque Terre is also closer.... and I'd put Rome at the end of the trip, if that's where you fly out from, moving down there so that you don't have to drive back up.

If you have a planned itinerary in Tuscany, share it with us so that we can give you more specific suggestions of other places to consider as a base for your vacation! Have fun planning :)

Hello

We are planning a trip to Tuscany in the late spring and have a question for someone. We are wanting to experience farmhouse and B&B style lodging and are presently thinking Castiglione Fiorentino, Italy and Montepulciano. Could you let me know if these locales would provide the ability to be spread out enough tosee Tuscany and perhaps Cinque Terre and possibly Rome ?( we will be renting a car)

Thank you in advance for your input .

Darren

Good morning Darren,
Castiglion Fiorentino is a very good strategic point to visit Tuscany. The most important towns and cities are not far. Consider for example that Siena is only 45 minutes far by car, Cortona 10 minutes, Arezzo 20 and so on.
Castiglion F. can be easily reached by trains from Florence and Rome. From the local train station there are trains from and to Florence every hours and the "journey" take just 1 hour.
There are many accomodations in Castiglion Fiorentino. One of the best is probably the "Residence Le Santucce" http://www.santucce.com, a tastefully restored 13th century convent. You can choose there between rooms or apartments with kitchen. Some of them also have a spacious terrace overlooking the beautiful valley of Castiglion Fiorentino.
I suggest you to give a look also to the Tridadvisor reviews to give a better idea of this Residence.
Enjoy your stay in Tuscany !

Luca

Re: good base would be more central in Tuscany

Lourdes,

Thank you so much for your time and information. We aren't travelers who like to have a set agenda when we travel. We want to have some things in mind that we would like to see and do . For example we want to do some wine tasting , explore older communities to sight-see , just be in the Tuscan moment. We thought that perhaps staying in the Chianti Region and Montepulciano would give us the ability to just drive to different areas and stop and take pictures etc. kind of a free spirited vacation. In your honest opinion is 10 days too much time to plan in this area ? Any thoughts/ suggestions of things you think first timers to Tuscany should not miss ?

Warm Regards,

Darren

Ciao Darren,

Both are good bases but are pretty far south in Tuscany - so whether they are the best totally depends on your planned itinerary for the 10 days. What places in particular are you planning to visit? Maybe a more central location in Tuscany, north of or around Siena, would be more ideal in general. That way Cinque Terre is also closer.... and I'd put Rome at the end of the trip, if that's where you fly out from, moving down there so that you don't have to drive back up.

If you have a planned itinerary in Tuscany, share it with us so that we can give you more specific suggestions of other places to consider as a base for your vacation! Have fun planning :)

Luca,

Thank you so much for your information. I think we have decided to stay part of the time in Chianti and part of the time in Montepulciano. We are hopeful this will give us a bit of various areas within Tuscany to explore.

Warm Regards,

Adam

Yes, since it is far south I'd recommend dividing the 10 days in two bases - one more central like in Chianti and then near Montepulciano, that way you explore each area spending less time driving to each destination!!

Definitely don't miss Pisa, San Gimignano, Volterra, Siena, the Valdorcia area, Chianti - also Arezzo, Cortona since you'll be nearby!!