Tuscany - where to stay

woomoosan

Hi all,

We will spend 3 days in Florence and 1 day in Pisa. Thereafter, we will be spending another 4 days exploring Tuscany, specifically the scenery/vineyard with a rented car.

After reading some of the posts here, Chianti seems to be a good area to base ourselves during the 4 days. Is my understanding correct?

Since we have a car, we do not need to be based in main towns. We are looking for accommodation with views of the countryside/hills.

Thanks all

Ciao!

Yes, Chianti is a great base but so would the Val d'Orcia to the south of Siena.
Take a look at these two cats to start browsing
Chianti and the Val d'Orcia.

In particular, I'd recommend:
Romitorio di Serelle
San Giovanni in Poggio
Podere Cunina
La Rocca di Cispiano
Il Cellese
Fattoria Viticcio
Borgo della Meliana
Villa Corsanello

All have magnificent views! :) You don't mention when you're coming -- most of these offer weekly rentals in the high season but allow shorter stays in the mid and low seasons (usually with a minimum stay of 3 nights or something similar).

Let me know if you're looking for something else in particular once you've seen the variety and get a better idea of what you like!

Fattoria Viticcio

I know I'm keeping a close eye on Fattoria Viticcio. I keep going back to it, and have it at the top of my list so far. Lourdes, do you believe it's walkable from here to Greve?

Are you planning to just get to Greve with the bus from Florence?

Here's the link from the piazza where the bus stops in Greve - it is exactly 1 mile from there to Fattoria Viticcio: http://goo.gl/maps/ukCbh

Since it's about the exact same distance from the bus stop to Montefioralle (which you should also see) - and I've go to Montefioralle (uphill) by foot - I would personally consider getting to Fattoria Viticcio (mostly flat) by foot perfectly doable, at least by day... I am not sure how well lit those country roads are by night.... also try to not have too much luggage!! ;-)

Actually, in all honesty, I think if you email Fattoria Viticcio and ask them if they can go pick you up on arrival just when you do have luggage to cart around, I am thinking they will go pick you up without a problem.

As for the night thing... maybe bring along a headlamp? We carry it just in case when we go hiking, and it has come in handy when we are caught out later than planned and there is no street lighting available. So if you head to Greve for dinner, you will be fine going back.... those country roads also don't have that much traffic on them so I'd feel fine doing them on foot.

The reason I ask is because though we'd like a place to stay countryside we also like to stroll small towns for lunch and dinner, or just sitting at their cafes. We plan on having a car for the entire week...and this area seems fairly central for many a day trip.

You'll be fine then! Won't have to deal with buses and luggage ;)
You can definitely walk to Greve and back for lunch, dinner or a simple stroll and then use the car for day trips in the area :)
It is very central and will be a great base to see most everything you want to see during the week.