Staying in Florence and then...?

slippypenguin

My husband and I will be traveling to Italy this July. We are planning to spend about 7 nights in Tuscany. We want to spend part of the time in Florence itself, since there are many things we want to do there. We thought about taking day trips from Florence to see some of the countryside, but I would love to actually spend 3 or 4 nights somewhere. We would rent a car as we left Florence. Any suggestions of where to stay as a home base after Florence?

We love food and would love to see cheese being made or olive oil. We would like to tour a winery or two, however we drink mostly craft beers, so maybe a winery that will offer a wine tasting lesson as well... What towns/places should we visit while we stay in the country?

We head to Rome after our week in Tuscany, any suggestions for where to drop off the car and hop on a train to Rome? Thanks!

Ciao Slippypenguin!
Welcome in Tuscany! When I saw the word "bier" I was excited and really really pleased to aswer with something which will surprise you.
My name is Elena and I am a guide and sommelier in training. I am happy to collaborate with Discovertuscany to provide some special suggestions for our guests on the FORUM.

Tuscany is a gorgeous and generous land. It offers authentic experiences for curious travellers who wish to understand how cheese is made, how extraordinary wines are produced, what is the lifestyle today.

Here we get to the point "bier": Tuscany produces some great wines with great character, but it has also more than 50 microbreweries which are slowly becoming well appreciated for their exceptional row materials and aromatic features.

If you are planning to visit Florence, you'll find lots of cultural experiences in Churches and Museums but you may also match local goodies and artisanal bier along a custom made food experience. There is one little producer who offers balsamic vinegar tastings and artisanal bier tastings in downtown Florence. I am sure you would like the tastings accompanied by Tuscan cheeses.
If you want to know more about the experience you can inquiry: www.florencewithflair.com

Florence is surely a perfect departure point for day trips to Lucca or to Siena or to Chianti, so it is surely worth spending 3-4 nights in the heart of Tuscany.

As far as the accommodation in Tuscany you may have a look at the selected properties in the countryside, mostly in Southern Tuscany.
http://www.discovertuscany.com/tuscany-farmhouses/

I would suggest a sejour in an "agriturismo" farmhouse in the neighborhoods of PIENZA because that area is one of the best ones for the production of PECORINO CHEESE (sheep cheese). There are lots of nieche producers which are open to the public. Nearby there are also great wineries which produce either BRUNELLO wine or NOBILE di MONTEPULCIANO wine.....or even breweries like:

www.birrificiosanquirico.it

You will love the countryside around Pienza. That area is never really that crowded. On the last day you may drive as far as Cortona, enjoy the little Etruscan town and dropp the car there. There is a station in CHIUSI-CORTONA where you can get the train to Rome without getting into the caos of Rome.

I remain at your disposal for any further detail you may need! I look forward to our bier in Florence!:)

a presto
Ele

My husband and I will be traveling to Italy this July. We are planning to spend about 7 nights in Tuscany. We want to spend part of the time in Florence itself, since there are many things we want to do there. We thought about taking day trips from Florence to see some of the countryside, but I would love to actually spend 3 or 4 nights somewhere. We would rent a car as we left Florence. Any suggestions of where to stay as a home base after Florence?

We love food and would love to see cheese being made or olive oil. We would like to tour a winery or two, however we drink mostly craft beers, so maybe a winery that will offer a wine tasting lesson as well... What towns/places should we visit while we stay in the country?

We head to Rome after our week in Tuscany, any suggestions for where to drop off the car and hop on a train to Rome? Thanks!