Accomodation / Location advice for Tuscany

mbbr

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on where best to spend my time in Tuscany?

I have a wedding in Fiesole in September and will be staying there for 6 nights where I expect to visit Florence and a few sights close by. however prior to this, I have an additional 5 nights and am looking for a central & quintessential Tuscan place to base myself and do day trips.

I will be spending these 5 nights in a group of 6 with my parents and thus would like to stay either in a small town or a villa that has a town near by (catering for young and old). Ideally a place with great views - I was thinking somewhere south of Siena so I could still do Chianti, San Gimignano in a day trip but also places like Montepulciano down South.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you in appreciation.

Marissa

Ciao Marissa,

I think either Villa Corsanello would be great and have the entire villa to yourselves (it actually sleeps up to 8 but think it would work great) or a place with apartments where you could share 2, such as
San Giovanni in Poggio or Podere Cunina. All are great bases to explore the area - just know you'll need your own car for this part of your Tuscan experience, it is the best way to explore all of the small towns in the area.

Hi,

If you have car disponibility I suggest you Castiglionchio: I think it is one of the most amazing place to spend time your time in Tuscany! You can read more about it on this other post I wrote today.

(Personal Experience)

Ciao Marissa,

You have great ideas about your stay in Tuscany.

If anything, you consider that Montepulciano is not so close to Florence. Near Florence you can choose a hotel located in Chianti or in interesting places like Certaldo, Monteriggioni, San Gimignano and Poggibonsi.

Also, near Florence, it may also be interesting book the Castello del Trebbio at Pontassieve which is one of 14 Medici Villas named as World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2013.

Infoseps - you're getting the villa near Pontassieve confused with the one in Mugello, near Lago di Bilancino - that's the Villa Castello il Trebbio which is a Medici Villa but not a UNESCO site. It is private and only open to events/conferences.

The one near Pontassieve (in Sieci) is a winery estate with accommodations, also very historical but belonging to the Pazzi family (the ones that tried to kill Cosimo and known infamously in Florence for the "Pazzi conspiracy") ;-).

Pretty much the same name but different castles!

Hi Lourdes ! need some of your precious help :)

hello,
my husband , my 4 month old and i are planning a trip in italy . we have 12 days to visit rome, florence, siena, and porto cervo in sardeigna.

we dont know how to have it done the best way without spending too much time in traveling.
we would arrive the 17/09 around 20:00 in FCO and ideally would be to fly straight to Porto cervo,
what do you think , is it doable with a little baby after ( 4 hours flight).

id lovw to hear what you would have done :)
looking forward to your reply
Elinor

Ops :)

The fact is that in Tuscany there are many places with the same name so it can be easy to fall into error. Another example is Antico Casale ... there are a lot of Antico Casale :)

I'm sorry I wanted to edit the post, but I can not find the button ...

Not a problem at all Infoseps, just wanted to clear it up for everyone else! And yes, unfortunately there are many places all over the place with the same name, just like Poggio al Sole or Il Poggiale ;-) They are are pretty common too!

As for editing, the green bar along the bottom of the post should have an "edit post" link so that you can make edits ;-) Thanks for posting on the forum, another local helping answer is much appreciated as lots of people need help in sorting out their plans right now.

Ciao Elinor,

Yes, as Sardegna is an island and would require a ferry otherwise, a plane ride from Rome would make more sense... although I am not sure if there are flights out directly after 8pm. If you can find one, it would work out great. Then rather than return to Rome, try to see if you can fly from Porto Cervo to Pisa or Florence airports.

At 4 months, my baby practically ate, played a bit and then slept... I think as long as you meet her/his needs on your baby's regular schedule as much as possible, they are pretty flexible and easy to travel with. I moved around a lot with a baby carrier at that stage rather than a stroller, which made trips much easier for us! She would fall asleep easily in the carrier, too, which made it really easy to do other things. Of course, taking time out to feed and change her often too.

I'd recommend Florence as a base, from there you can then move around by train or bus to go to Siena, San Gimignano and maybe Pisa... depends how much time you'll give Tuscany after Porto Cerco.

I think you'll do fine - and enjoy Italy!