Accommodation and Itinery advice in Tuscany

Carol-Ann

Our small family of 2 adults & a 15 year old will be travelling to Italy in June 2015.

We fly into Pisa at noon on 25th June and after getting organized at our accommodation (not yet booked) we will explore Pisa.

The plan the following day is to take a train to Siena OR Arezzo where we will hire a car.

We would like to base ourselves in a scenic rural village for the next 4 days. We'd rather stay in a village where we can walk to restaurants & avoid having to drive to eat out. From this base we'll do day trips around Tuscany and go into Florence.

On the 30th June we'll drop off the rental car and travel by train down through Rome and on to Naples where we'll stay along the Amalfi Coast until 3rd July.

Do you recommend basing ourselves around Siena or Arezzo? Maybe one option is more convenient for seeing Tuscany or for returning the rental car and catching a train to Rome?

Have you any suggestions of villages/ towns and accommodation?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you.

Arezzo or Siena

I would suggest you look closer to Arezzo.

Two reasons:
one it is on the major train route between Florence and Rome - so you will be well connected to the major cities and
two because it is close the major highways so it makes getting around easy (from here you can easily and quickly go to Florence, Cortona, Siena, Montepulciano and Chianti)

http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/agriturismo-incrociata.html

OK - I must admit there are three reasons :), I lived several years in this area and I find it to be less touristy and very genuine including the hospitality, the food and the Italian culture.

Buon Viaggio

Thank you DonnaDenise.

On your advice, I am looking for countryside accommodation near Arezzo.

Can you recommend a car rental agency? Is it possible to hire a car in Pisa and drop off the car with the same rental company in Arezzo?

regards
Carol-Ann

We would like to base ourselves in a scenic rural village for the next 4 days. We'd rather stay in a village where we can walk to restaurants & avoid having to drive to eat out. From this base we'll do day trips around Tuscany and go into Florence.

NAT

Carol-Ann,
Take a look at http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/arezzo/. I would highly recommend Agriturismo Incrociata for a stay in the countryside in a comfortable but rural setting.

As far as car rentals, you can definitely rent in Pisa and return in Arezzo. As long as the compnay you choose has offices in both, I don't think there should be a problem.
I recommend Europcar, Budget or Avis, all have offices in both cities.

Collin,

Good bases (some would require a car, some not so much) could be:
Greve in Chianti, San Gimignano, Certaldo, SIENA (it still retains a great small town air in the evenings once all the tourists are gone), Lucca, Arezzo, San Quirico d'Orcia, Montalcino.... just to name a few ;-)