Reservations required?

Val&Geo

My husband and I will be touring around Tuscany by car during the last 2 weeks of May. We have an apartment in Siena booked for 9 nights to use as a base. We would like to just wander the last few days/nights and find a room wherever we may be. Are hotels very busy that time of year? Would it be better to reserve in advance?

Making Reservations

Buongiorno,

May is a wonderful time to be exploring Tuscany, in fact the weather is just starting to take a decidedly warm turn for the better!

May is still considered mid-season for many places which means that you shouldn't have a problem finding space - it is not a guarantee but my experience is that you should still be able to find hotels with room.

If you are thinking that you would like to stay at a B&B or agriturism, I would suggest making reservations. Not all of them are completely open and prepared for last minute walk-ins and even if they did take you, the rooms might not be as beautiful as if they were expecting you.

Therefore, if you have seen a place online that you really wanted to visit or if you are looking at the B&B's and family apartments then I would encourage you to book. If you prefer a hotel then you should be just fine without reservations.

Buon Viaggio.

I agree with Donna, likely not a problem in finding last minute hotels as they are on booking.com and whatnot systems online... while most family-run farmhouses and B&Bs are a little behind and not online, at least not with an automatic booking system so you need to contact them ahead of time with ample time to get a reply. I always recommend if you want a particular place, to write to check availability and book ahead. In Italy, not even hotels in the city or countryside have "vacancy" signs to indicate they have rooms, so it all depends on either local tourist offices having that info or checking online what is available for last minute bookings.

I agree with Donna, likely not a problem in finding last minute hotels as they are on booking.com and whatnot systems online... while most family-run farmhouses and B&Bs are a little behind and not online, at least not with an automatic booking system so you need to contact them ahead of time with ample time to get a reply. I always recommend if you want a particular place, to write to check availability and book ahead. In Italy, not even hotels in the city or countryside have "vacancy" signs to indicate they have rooms, so it all depends on either local tourist offices having that info or checking online what is available for last minute bookings.

Thanks for your help. I think we will take our chances and be spontaneous. Counting down the days to departure! :)