Central location in Tuscany with a 2 night stay in Elba?

ksr8500

I am planning our trip to Italy this late June/early July and could use help in determining which town(s) to stay in.

We start off with friends in Zurich for 2 nights, then travel by train to Venice for 2 nights. I have 7 nights to plan before we go to Rome for 4 nights. We are a family of 4 with 2 active teenage sons (ages 15 & 18). They love to hike and enjoy the outdoors, beach, local culture and of course the food!

Ideally I would like a large town/small city where we can park a car as well as walk to shops, restaurants, cafe's. I am also intrigued by Elba and think perhaps 2 nights there would be wonderful.

I am flexible in terms of type of accomodation (B&B, apartment, hotel), but first want to figure out the town. For Elba I would like something on or near a nice beach.

Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated!

Time on Elba

Buongiorno

I bet the boys would enjoy Elba - not only will it give them beach time but you can still find LOTS of hiking opportunitites and some interesting historical sites.

Here are a few places that might work for you as far as accommodations:

Hotel Ilio

Vecchia Scuola

and Porto Sole

As for a city in Tuscany - Florence is a great place to base yourselves, however if you are looking for something a bit more in the country you could look at:

Tenuta Quadrifoglio, the area offers lots of small towns and lots of opportunities for hiking at the parco benessere - it is kind of an open air park that spans a very wide area including trails, thermal water stops and historical ruins...as well as being on/near the via Francigena.

Radda?

Thank you for this information - very helpful.

Someone suggested Radda as a good central base for Tuscany. I don't know anything about that town, but have not seen it recommended on this site. Curious what you think.

Thanks!
Kim

Radda in Chianti

Hi -

actually we are in the process of updating our http://www.chianti.com/ site - and I just did a brief re-write and intro on Radda this week: http://www.chianti.com/radda-in-chianti/intro-to-radda.html

It is a beautiful area, however, personally sometimes I just feel like it gets too touristy...and I prefer to go off a bit towards a quiter more laid back atmosphere and countryside. The western part of Chianti is goregous, and really doesn't get as much hype...but well worth it - and sometimes you will find the prices are more budget friendly.

Have Fun!
Donna Denise

Other options in Tuscany

Thanks Donna - nice article.

For our Tuscany base, I am still not quite sure. I think Florence is too big, but do not want something too far in the country. I want to be able to walk around for shops, cafe, restaurants. I don't know if you have ever been to Dijon or Bayeux in France, but that is what I am envisioning in terms of type of towns.

For Elba, do you have any information on the different towns?

Thanks!