Home base town

Hi,

I'll be spending 5 days in Tuscany and have been trying to look online and research on which town would be the best home base to do day trips from but have had no luck so far. We will be having a car to drive around. And would love to stay somewhere central where we are only about 1-1.5 hours away from the other must see towns. Any recommendations?

Home Base

Buongiorno,

There are so many places that you could explore as a home base - truly, you could come back a hundred times and find someplace new and wonderful each and every time :cool:

But I hope to help you narrow it down, at least for this trip, here are a few of my favorite places:

https://www.chianti.com/san-donato-in-poggio/
the first two articles on this page are about B&Bs in the town - I have visited both of them personally and those articles are my reviews.

Another one of my favorite places is within walking distance of a great small town: http://www.discovertuscany.com/siena/accommodation/farmhouses/casa-podere-monti.html

I just picked out a few that came immediately to mind, however, you can browse these reviews of places we have visited and get a better idea of some other options out there. These articles and reviews will send you direct to the owners - another great reason to book with them, no middle man and more savings.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Florence is, obviously, a great base town. From Florence you can easily visit Pistoia, Pisa, Lucca, Prato, Massa, Livorno and Siena (they are all about 1 hour far from Florence by car).

If you prefer to base in another city I will surely recommend Pistoia, strategic to reach the mountains and the see (and all the cities written above).
In Pistoia you have to select one B&B (You will find many fascinating B&B also in the countryside, like the Fienile della Farnia, or in downtown, like the Locanda San Marco). Pistoia has a beautiful historic center, you will fall in love with this city.

Hope you will enjoy Tuscany!

Last edited by a moderator: