Visiting in July with teens

maxwellcook607

My wife and I will be traveling to Italy in July with our 3 teenagers (13,16 and 18). We arrive in Rome and plan to spend 4 days in Tuscany before returning to Rome for 4 nights. Any suggestions for itineraries. Train vs. car? We'd like to spend time in Lucca and Florence.

Ciao Maxwellcook,

I copied your post over to a new thread to make it easier to find and reply -- as craigmillar suggested.

4 days will fly by, I suggest using train as a means of transport and dividing time between Florence and Lucca, 3 days and 1 day in Lucca. Or just use Florence as your base, since you can visit Lucca and Pisa on a day trip and then return to Florence to head on down to Rome.

You can dedicate two full days to Florence this way, a 3rd day to Siena (with bus) and the 4th day go to Pisa in the morning, Lucca in the afternoon and return to Florence by evening (via train). If you don't want to go up the Leaning Tower in Pisa and want to skip that, you can spend the entire day in Lucca! ;-)

If you haven't booked accommodation, once you decide if you're using Florence as your base, make sure to book your lodging. It is high season and you can't wait to the last minute - take a look at http://www.florenceaccommodation.com/ for ideas!

Thank you Lourdes!

But July 18 has already passed.

Also you post so much on this site I was wondering whether you work directly or indirectly for them.

In the interest of "full disclosure" can you elaborate?

Ciao craigmillar,

Maxwellcook just posted his question yesterday... I was supposing he is looking for ideas for accommodation for either these last two weeks or for next year, he didn't actually specify. July is always high season so better to book ahead ;-).

And, yes, in the interest of "full disclosure", I post on here a lot because DiscoverTuscany.com and this forum was born as a family project between myself and my husband Stefano :D You can read a bit more about us here. We are a small team and you could say the forum itself is my pet project -- I appreciate a lot when others also participate - like yourself - and share your own experiences and expertise, so even if I haven't said it before, THANK YOU!! So please keep on posting! :D

Thanks Lourdes

I think your sites are truly fantastic but perhaps you should change your description from "A Tuscan Expert". I thought with considerable effort I could arrive at your level but perhaps it is unattainable - I am not Tom Cruise if you understand my tongue in cheek analogy!

;) thank you, am glad you find our sites useful and fantastic, it warms the heart to know our work is appreciated!

i'll have to consider changing the "admin" title I gave myself LOL!

Any suggestions for titles for the different levels, to make them good objectives to aim at??