Off Season Stay

KelseyMJ

Hi,
My husband and I are planning a trip to the region in November with another couple. We will be spending two days in Rome and then want to head to Tuscany to experience wine tasting, a cooking class, the olive oil harvest, truffle season and wonderful food (recommendations for any of these are welcome!) We looked for somewhere to stay and many B and Bs and places are closed. We found a beautiful villa for a good price, since it is off season, but it is outside Castiglion Fiorentino. It fits our desire to be able to socialize together (as opposed to independent hotel rooms) and would relaxing after the hustle and bustle of our daily lives and Rome. We are considering this accommodation, but we would like to be able to enjoy different restaurants and wine and are worried about all the driving that it might require if we stay in the countryside. Are there cars for hire (taxis etc) like in the US to take us to and from dinner? Otherwise, is there a city, ie Florence, Cortona etc that we should make our base and just do day trips to these activities?
I know it must be hard to make recommendations when you don't know the people as to what is best, but any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you.

Getting Around from Castiglion Fiorentino

Buongiorno,

A place like Castiglion Fiorentino will have a taxi service, and your accommodations should be able to assist you in making arrangements that someone picks you up & drops you off. However, do not expect the taxis to be wating outside - they will need to be reserved and arranged in advance.

Certainly, being more centrally located has is pluses - Arezzo, Cortona or even Florence will make it easier for your meals - but not always for the socializing with the locals. :cool:

Perhaps you want to look for a B&B that has a restaurant on site, so you can just relax when you get back. November has an early sunset, so sometimes it is nice to just cosy up in a common room after the meal and enjoy the company. You can try going to different restaurants during the day if you really want to explore and experience...

Check out this link for some places with an on-site restaurant:

http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/for-foodies/

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise