Visiting tuscany driving myself on april 2014

drjaco

I need help from experimented people from italy or previous visitor tourist to the area of tuscany to advise me a good itinerary for knowing the most important, interesting,
and beutiful towns and places in the area of tuscany. I have 9 days. I arrive to rome and wants to go to sorrento, amalfi, positano, capri, anacapri, first, then start north to the tuscany area to visit different towns and locations????, somebody recommend me.
My trip finish in milan but i am able to go a little more to the north close to the coast, before address toward milan. Can any of you please give me advisements? Thanks.

Montalcino is a very good idea and if you go, don't miss the Abbey of Sant'Antimo about 9-10 km south of it. You can spot if from the road and it's definitely worth a stop. If you time it right, you will hear monks singing Gregorian chant. Otherwise, it's just a very ancient, beautiful and peaceful place.

If you arrive from the South, then Maremma is the your first marvelous contact with Tuscany. You could drop by the hinterland and then drive along the coast, known as the Etruscan coast: maybe low temperatures won't let you have a bath (if you're lucky and will find a sunny day, you could even try!), but the landscape and the precious bays and beaches are really worth a while!
I think about two days are enough.

Drive then to Pisa - the city of the Leaning Tower - and Lucca, the one hundred churches walled town, it's a Tuscan jewel you shouldn't miss out on (two days, one night: from Pisa to Lucca it's about half an hour drive, you could find an accommodation in Lucca and visit the city the next day before moving to the next place).

Then, it's the turn of Florence. It's about an hour and half drive from Lucca and obviously is the MUST of a Tuscan tour. You can't stay less than two days in Florence (and two nights), there are so many things to see that even a week wouldn't be enough, but we know, time is really a hard master!

From Florence, you easily drive to Siena: one day visit may be enough for the old city center, then you could leave this marvelous town heading to the Chianti area, another MUST of Tuscany (some localities: Greve, Castellina in Chianti, Gaiole in Chianti, Poggibonsi, Montespertoli,...). I'd rather spent the two days left visiting all the localities of the renowned wine area, driving along its green rolling hills and enjoying wine-and-food tastings.

I would also say that an itinerary as suggested by Chiara would work out perfectly.

You can also take a look at these two itineraries that list top places to visit in a week in Tuscany, and what to see in Chianti in more detail.
http://www.discovertuscany.com/itineraries-in-tuscany/one-week-in-tuscany.html
http://www.chianti.com/traveling-through-chianti.html

If you have time as you head north, you could take the coastal roads that take you past Cinque Terre and stop there and in Portovenere to see a bit of the Italian riviera before arriving in Milan!