7 day sojurn to Italy

Ashwin

Hi Lourdes,

I am from India and visiting Italy the first time in June end. We have only 7 nights to explore this magnificent country. Our plan is to visit Florence, pisa, siena & finally Amalfi coast. During Florence, we would like to explore the chianti (Tuscany region) looking around country side as well as the vineyards.

Could you kindly help with some suggestions on getting there (I mean should we start our tour from Florence (pisa, siena & Tuscany and head towards Amalfi coast or do the opposite?

How many days should we allocate? We were wondering 5 nights (Florence, Tuscany, siena & pisa) and the last 2 days at Amalfi coast?

Our itinerary is to fly in Florence and fly out of naples, or the reverse, please advise if this is correct?

Regards
Ashwin

You can do the itinerary either way.... but my concern is whether you should include the Amalfi coast at all in this Italian trip.

There are plenty of splendid coast and beach in Tuscany as well. I am assuming you plan to drive while in Tuscany, it will make it easier to move around. You can arrive in Florence, spend a night or two in town, then rent a car and drive to the countryside, spending 3 more nights out. Chianti area would be a central areas to stay in, from there, you can do a day trip to Pisa, another day in Siena, the rest spend time driving around the area and visiting farms/wineries.

For the coast, I'd then suggest driving down to Maremma and staying along the Monte Argentario. Or taking the ferry and heading to Elba! Either Portoferraio or Marina di Campo would be good bases, although I am partial to Hotel Ilio (we've been twice already!) Then you can return to Florence to fly out again.

This way, you will be less in a hurry dashing across the country and should enjoy your time with a bit more of time.

Coast or the City of Rome

Dear Lourdes,

Thanks a ton for your prompt response.

your advise for 5 nights Florence & Tuscany is good. can you advise us apartments in Florence and Tuscany region, our budget is around 100 euros for Florence and a little more for the Tuscany region (100-150 euros).

In the Tuscany region, should we camp at 1 apartment for 3 nights and do day trips to Pisa & Siena or stay at different locations?

Last and the most important question is about the coast (Maremma & Elba)...... should we do these or do the City of Rome for 2 nights?

We love the coastal region since we have done a lot of bali, samui, krabi and don't mind to sacrifice this for Rome?

Cheers!
Ashwin

Staying outside of Florence might actually be cheaper per night but it can vary a lot, depending on where you stay. I suggest you take a look at www.tuscanyaccommodation.com and search around for places you might like.

I would suggest not staying in Florence but arriving, renting the car and moving out to the countryside - if you choose the area between San Gimignano, Florence and Siena, you'll be very central and can do a day trip to Florence, Siena, Pisa. I would do at least 4 nights here.

Then move on to the coast. In this period, I think you'll love the coast more than cities and can sacrifice Rome. I'd suggest heading anywhere from Livorno down to Calpalbio, so the area is vast - again, take a look at that website and use the booking.com booking box to see what is available, to search by rates as well.

Weather in Florence

Dear Lourdes

Thanks for the info.

Just wanna check with you the weather in Florence in the first week of july????

Heard its a bit hot now.... will it be hot or very hot during the 1st week of july?

Regards
Ashwin

It has been warm, then thunderstorms so cooled off a bit. Today's temps are around 27 °C so very pleasant.

I am hoping it won't be too hot but I don't yet have the power to forecast the weather so I suggest you keep an eye on what the trend could be on weather.com - I normally start from here:
https://weather.yahoo.com/italy/tuscany/florence-715496/