Running Events in Tuscany - April 2012

bigcubfan

We will be in Tuscany from 8 April through 22 April. I'd like to participate in a race somewhere in Tuscany during that time. We'll be in Arezzo for a week and then Orvieto, but I am not opposed to a drive of an hour or two. Please let me know if you are aware of any 5k, 10k or half marathons. I'm not up for a full marathon while on vacation, though my wife might wish to run one. Any information would be very helpful. Thanks.

lots of choices!!

Ciao Bigcubfan!

Good for you, to combine a race while on vacation! I found lots of options in Tuscany although no full marathons. Two half marathons though! :D

I found there is going to be a race on April 15 right in Arezzo called the Corsa del Saracino.
The website is not yet updated but it will continue to be a 13km race.

April 15 seems to be quite popular date, there is a series of Vivicittà races across Italy and maybe beyond, all of 12km, to be held that day. In Tuscany, there will be races in Livorno, Siena, Viareggio and Florence.

Livorno Vivicittà
9.30 am - 12k
Uisp Livorno
0586-887433
livorno@uisp.it
Vivicittà 2011 - not updated yet for 2012

Siena Vivicittà
10.30 am - 12k
Uisp Siena
0577-271567
http://www.uispsiena.it - not updated yet

Viareggio Vivicittà
10.30 am - 12k
Uisp Viareggio
0584-963696
info@versiliasport.com
VERSILIA SPORT A.S.D. - the site is not updated yet

Florence Vivicittà Half Marathon
Piazza Santa Croce
9.30 am - both a 10k and the half (21,1km)
http://www.mediauisp.it/ (info still relates to 2011 edition)

The closest of these to Arezzo is the one in Siena. Just so you know, the one in Siena is also the only one not marked as "competitive" which means it should be open to everyone in good health.
All competitive races in Italy (including the 13km in Arezzo) require that you present a certificate from your doctor saying you are in good health to compete in these races (I guess so that you take responsibility if you keel over along the way, it is your fault for overestimating your capabilities :D ) and others require that you be registered with a running club or association in order to participate (insurance purposes). I believe this is because so many of the races I've seen here are tied to some sort of athlete competition calendar and much less to a charity as is more common in the US and UK. In any case, usually foreigners just need a doctor's certificate which says you are fit enough to compete in a race (see this form example given for the Florence Marathon)

Other races I found for your dates:

two on April 9: Prato Half Marathon (www.maratonina.prato.it/) and in Massarosa (Lucca), the 40° Corri Massarosa - 18km - for info: G.S. Amici della Marcia Atletica Massarosa 0584/975809 (didn't find info on their site about it)

April 22 - Prato - 15° "Un Pò 'n Poggio"
Various distances, non competitive: 6k, 11k, 17k, 23k and 31k
Starts are "free", as long as you leave between 8 and 9am in Piazza Mercatale, Prato
Open to all, no need to have doctor's certificate - individuals can register on the same day up to 9am http://www.gruppopodisticocrocedoroprato.it/

Bookmark these pages if you want to check back for others, I am sure some more "fun" runs are not yet listed so might be listed later on - Toscana - Tutto Podismo and Calendario Podismo (you have to enter "Toscana" at the top in the "Regione" search to filter the ones for the region).

Hope this information is useful as you plan your vacation! I recently ran my first half in Livorno and it was a great experience :) We are sure you'll have fun!

Running well on vacation in June and July.

Lourdes,

Your post to bigcubfan was very informative. I am looking for the same type of imformation. I was hopping your could help. I will be arriving in Tuscany on Saturday, June 23rd and departing on July 8th from Rome. I would love to complete a race of any distance while I am abroad. I am on vacation and am willing to travel via the train to any race. Do you have any suggestions?

Ciao!!

Glad you appreciated the info and happy to see there are others looking to run while on vacation!

I did a quick search and there are 17 races in that time period :cool: - so it would be helpful to know whether you have a preference for distance or where in Tuscany you'll be throughout that time. For example, right on the 23rd in Florence there is a night run to celebrate the eve of St. John's feast day on the 24th - very important for Florence, since he is the city's patron saint. The race is a 10k and starts at 9pm so if you're arriving into Florence you might want to do it, if you're not too jet-lagged of course!

There is an ultramarathon the following day from Pistoia to Abetone with shorter distances as well (14k, 30k and the 53k ultra).

Other races for from 9k up to 25k so if you have a preference, I can point out those in particular. You can see the entire list on Calendario podismo (at the very top select "Toscana" from the Regione dropdown list.
Unfortunately everything is only in Italian - I can help you pick out those that might be more appropriate if you have a specific distance or maybe a date - maybe July 1 is right in the middle and better once you've gotten over any jet lag?

Let me know!

Re: Running Events in Tuscany - April 2012, specifically Florence / Firenze

Ciao!!

Glad you appreciated the info and happy to see there are others looking to run while on vacation!

I did a quick search and there are 17 races in that time period :cool: - so it would be helpful to know whether you have a preference for distance or where in Tuscany you'll be throughout that time. For example, right on the 23rd in Florence there is a night run to celebrate the eve of St. John's feast day on the 24th - very important for Florence, since he is the city's patron saint. The race is a 10k and starts at 9pm so if you're arriving into Florence you might want to do it, if you're not too jet-lagged of course!

There is an ultramarathon the following day from Pistoia to Abetone with shorter distances as well (14k, 30k and the 53k ultra).

Other races for from 9k up to 25k so if you have a preference, I can point out those in particular. You can see the entire list on Calendario podismo (at the very top select "Toscana" from the Regione dropdown list.
Unfortunately everything is only in Italian - I can help you pick out those that might be more appropriate if you have a specific distance or maybe a date - maybe July 1 is right in the middle and better once you've gotten over any jet lag?

Let me know!

I am interested in running in the Florence Half Marathon on the 15th. Anyone else want to join me ? I did one in 2 hours recently but want to go slower in Florence.

Florence Half Marathon April 15, 2012

If I was in better shape this spring and wasn't actually going to be away from Florence that weekend, I'd actually join you!! Hope you find some other takers, such as bigcubfan - he never did say what he had decided for - maybe you could send him a PM (private message) and see if he has something planned already ;)

Re: Running Events in Tuscany - April 2012, specifically Florence / Firenze

I am interested in running in the Florence Half Marathon on the 15th. Anyone else want to join me ? I did one in 2 hours recently but want to go slower in Florence.

Lourdes,
Forgive me for intruding on your half marathon post, but I am seeking your advice about a sprint. My wife, our 25-year-old daughter and I are trying to plot an itinerary for two-and-a-half days in Tuscany before we will arrive in Lucca for my nephew's wedding. We will arrive in Florence on Sunday, May 20 in the mid morning, and we will rent a car at the airport. We want to head south, exploring some section of the Chianti wine region, presumably stopping in Siena and San Gimignano. But we don't know if this is too much to bite off for whatever we can salvage of Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Our goal is simply to take in a little of the culture of the region, enjoying its architectural beauties and countryside, while we sample its wonderful food and wine. I know that there are several small, medieval towns in the area: Greve, Panzano, Castellina, Radda, Volpaia, etc. I'm confused about how much we can reasonably cover in such a short time without turning our holiday into a mad dash. I am trying to establish a "base" for our short trip and Radda is a possibility, with the Palazzo Leopoldo looking good as a hotel. I should also mention that after the wedding (May 23-24 in Lucca, where all hotel arrangements are made), we had thought to visit a few of the Cinque Terra towns in the day and a half we have until we must return to a Florence airport hotel late on May 26. We have an early morning flight back home on May 27. Any suggestions on an itinerary (with hotels) for our short pre-Lucca and post-Lucca trips would be very greatly appreciated.

PadreJ

base for 3 days...

Ciao PadreJ,

I believe I had already offered some thoughts and tips for your base in this other thread, did you see it?
http://www.discovertuscany.com/foru...e-stay-base-discovering-tuscany.html#post3254
Read the other suggestions I also give Yashim so that you can see what I propose there as well.

Radda is centrally located to see Chianti and as Siena is to the south and San Gimignano to the west, it should be fine. As long as you're not rushing, it shouldn't feel like you have too much to do - try to fit what you can in your days and remain flexible - if you enjoy one place more than you thought, stay there and enjoy it rather than be in a hurry to rush off to your next destination on your plan. It is also part of the vacation in Italy to take your time over meals, to take walks with a gelato cone in hand and just enjoy being in the moment.

You can definitely head to Cinque Terre for a day and a half - just know that while you can drive there, once you arrive the car basically stays put where you park it. The best way to move around is the train seeing as the paths are pretty much closed down (except for the part between Riomaggiore and Manarola).

P.S. if you want to create a new thread, on the thread list page - http://www.discovertuscany.com/forum/general-tourist-info/ there is a green button at the top left under the title of the thread list saying "start new thread" - that way it will be easier to stay on topic ;)