Planning a Tuscan Trip in April 2015, need help!

denised

I'm trying to map out a trip for next April. My daughter will be studying in Florence. This will be our second trip to Italy. My thought was for my husband and I to fly into Venice, spend 2 days, head to Florence, visit with my daughter then do the following:

Cortona? (huge under the tuscan sun fan!) another areas of tuscany,
Portifino or cinque terre.

I want to rent a home, I feel like we get more flavor of the country that way. Where would be the best place to make our home base, for we will rent a car after leaving florence.

Last time we stayed in rome 8 days, 2 day trips : Orvietto & Frascatti;
Then 7 days in Sant'Agata visiting Pompeii, Positano, Sorrento, Capri and Ravello. That is a sampling of how we like to vacation!

Ciao Denised,

You will love Tuscany! I agree with choosing a base once you leave Florence and using that for day trips. Since you're willing to rent the car, it will be perfect for having complete flexibility as to which direction and what time to head out each day, including staying in and sleeping late or enjoying breakfast without being in a hurry ;-)

How many days will you have in Tuscany, not counting Florence?
Are you coming right around Easter? Just so you know those days are busy so you do need to book accommodation early.

Since this is your first time in Tuscany, I'd suggest staying centrally in Chianti: how about a beautiful farmhouse apartment surrounded by vineyards? take a look at Romitorio di Serelle, Il Cellese, Vernianello or the Rocca di Cispiano, all around Castellina in Chianti.
Romitorio di Serelle
Agriturismo Vernianello
Il Cellese
La Rocca di Cispiano

These rent by the week so if you've got less days, then I'd suggest a B&B - check these out:
Palazzo Malaspina
Casolare di Libbiano

From there, you can drive around Chianti, head to San Gimiginano, Volterra, Siena, the Val d'Orcia and to Cortona as well. If you have the time, I'd also suggest Pisa and Lucca. Both Portofino and Cinque Terre are in Liguria so to the far west corner of Tuscany, more distant from all of the main sights in Tuscany so unless you're flying back out of Venice or even Milan, I'd leave them out. But if you are flying out of Milan, I'd suggest adding a day or two there at the end, so that you don't need to drive back down at all. It will be "on your way" ;-)

Cortona

Hello

though I appreciate the romantic notions in Under the Tuscan Sun...I'm not a big fan of the simplistic view it gives of the life in Tuscany - but having said that Cortona (Arezzo, Lago Trasimeno, Lucignano and more) is a great place to stay. Not only can you do parts of Tuscany (Montepulciano, Siena, Arezzo, Anghiari, Casentino....) but if you want you can dabble in the surrounding area like Perugia and Assisi.

Cortona is fairly close to main roads for travel to places a bit further away but is very well connected for the local travelling and the roads are in good condition. The town itself is quaint and functional with good stores and restaurants as well as an active events calendar.

For someone who has already been to Tuscany and is looking to delve a bit deeper into the culture and the sites this is an excellent choice.

Buon Viaggio