4/5 Days in Tuscany Starting in Florence before heading to Amalfi Coast

topherathon

Hello - In planning phase of 12 night trip to Italy July 2016. Arriving afternoon in Florence. Looking for itinerary ideas that consider that after 4/5 days in Tuscany we want to head down to Amalfi coast for 4 days before ending trip with couple days in Rome. Read the suggested 5 day Tuscany itinerary and looks great but need some strategy on how to schedule it since we are heading south after Tuscany.

- Arrive Florence so thought doing 2 days there first
- Open to using train and or renting car depending on recommendation
- flexible on where we stay after first couple nights in Florence as we get over jet lag
- Don't want to be overly ambitious - want to see must see places but also want to enjoy the region and not get exhausted. (group of 4 - 2 daughters 11,13)
- Want mix of cities Florence, Sienna, Pisa but also experience smaller, charming towns.
- Need recommendation on how best to get to Naples/Amalfi after our days in Tuscany (i.e. where should we end our Tuscany time in order drive or train it to Naples area.

Look forward to your suggestions - thank you so much
Christopher

Last edited:
Florence vs. Countryside

Buongiorno -

you could just "hang" in Florence and use it as a base to explore Tuscany.

You mention Pisa is on your list of places to visit, and that is easily done with a train and you can add in Lucca and there you have a beautiful little town with lots to see, do and enjoy.

For the amount of money you would spend on a car rental you could also look into doing an organized tour - there are many different types (large or small and intimate) and that would leave you relaxed but with an excellent possibility to see a lot of Tuscany.

As for getting to Naples - definitely take the train. I had friends over this September and they did the same route...leaving from Florence it only takes a couple of hours and you are in the train station - relaxed and ready to explore!

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Florence vs. Countryside

Mille Grazie Donna

This sounds good. I had just read visiting the small towns usually is best by car but I will look into tours.

Christopher

Small towns

Hi -

if you were considering taking public transport everywhere - then sometimes the small towns are not as easily accessible and in that case definitely a car would be a better choice.

However, if you found a tour that included the small towns you were interested in, then (as the Italians would say) quasi, quasi which means it's "almost" better.

There are some smaller tours that will give you more freedom to choose where to go - let me know if you have any questions about the smaller towns you want to see.

Donna Denise