Good Friday in Grassina

ejperry

Hello, my family and I will be enjoying the Easter services this year in Florence. Has anyone attended the Passion Play observances in Grassina and if so what can you tell me about them? Was hoping to experience that town's Good Friday events and then try and spend some time in the afternoon at a local vineyard operation.

Thank you,

Eric

Grassina

Buongiorno,

this event in Grassina is well visited by the locals and you do need tickets to see the "staged event"...they sell out very quickly so if you are interested you need to purchase them as soon as they go on sale normally just a week or so before the event. You can buy tickets for the events on the site on the day of the events - but from my past experience the big event is usually packed

There is also a parade before the scenes of the Passion Play which does not require a ticket and it a prossession of the "characters" in the scenes.

These events take place in the evening and the roads going through Grassina are closed and re-routed,, so I suggest you get there earlier enough to park before they close the roads.

It is not a "play" but rather scenes from the story that are re-enacted together with music.

So I would plan on your wine tasting in the morning or early afternoon and then the evening at Grassina.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Thank you Donna for the helpful response. We were thinking about trying to spend the afternoon at a nearby vineyard named Villa Medicea Di Lilliano and then go from there to the Good Friday events in Grassina. The information I have found says there are 500 people involved in the Passion Play. With that kind of participation there must be a large crowd attending !? I think we may try and hire a guide to drive us to the vineyard, Play and back to Florence.

Thank you!

Eric

Transport to Grassina by bus?

Hello, I will be visiting Florence during Holy Week and would like to attend the parade and events in Grassina on Good Friday. Is it possible to get there and return by bus? I found a listing for the #31 bus which shows a return to Florence at 10:15 pm. I believe the events start at 21:00 (9 pm) and so would it be worthwhile if we have to return by 10:15? What time should we plan to arrive?

Thank you for any help you can give! It sounds like a wonderful event and we hope we can make the arrangements to join in.

Sue

Grassina

Buongiorno,

Bus 31 is the bus you want to take back and forth - and for the event I believe they will have some later runs. It is about a 25 minute trip from the city center to the last stop Grassina. I use it practically every day and it is easy to find and will drop you right back in the city center of Florence.

Can you believe I have lived in Grassina for 10 years...and have never once seen the Passion Play! (however, I do have friends and neighbors that are in the midst of it all :cool: ) I will do some asking around to confirm that they have a tradition of everything really starting on time - if it does then yes the time frame is perfect.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

If you're enjoying the play and all, I wouldn't leave to catch the bus - just keep the number for taxi on hand (055-4242 or 055-4390) and call a cab. Grassina isn't far from Florence so there are cabs around the area and will take you back home, at whatever hour you're ready!

Parade in Grassina

Hello -

I spoke to the locals who have seen the parade - and they say 1) they run on time - and 2) that it is absolutely beautiful.

There are two parts to the production. The parade in the main street requires NO ticket and is open to the public. But the "passion play" or actually they are reproductions of "scenes" from the passion play require a ticket and sell out pretty fast.

I hope you enjoy it!

Donna Denise