www.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: free parking just outside Florence

Default free parking just outside Florence

This is a great site and I see you have mentioned four free parking sites just outside Florence:
    PIAZZALE MICHELANGELO
    PONTE A GREVE
    FIRENZE CERTOSA
    GALLUZZO
    I would appreciate it if anybody who lives in Florence or has been there recently can update me as to:
    1.whether these are all functional (and whether there are others aswell or instead)
    2. are they open late? (ie we plan to arrive in Florence on a Monday evening around 6-8pm)
    3. can we leave the car for over 24 hours until Wednesday afternoon?
    4. do the buses into Florence run in the evenings?
    Thanks so much in advance,
    Lee

Ciao Lee11,

The free parking areas you mention do not have closing hours so you won't have problems with heading there late. I think the one you'll find most convenient is the one in Piazzale Michelangelo although I wouldn't leave the car there for over 24 hours. To leave overnight, I'd go for the one in Ponte a Greve lot since it is well connected with the tram into downtown Florence. Buses and the tram do run in the evenings. Check buses that take you downtown on the page with the info on the parking lots (Where to Park in Florence, Italy? Map & List of Parking in Florence, Free and Paid Parking Lots) and then go to ATAF net to check the schedules for each line. The tram operates from 5am to midnight with trains every 9-10 minutes in August (every 5-11 min in September, depending on time of day).

Hope this info is useful!!
    What to see in Tuscany? Check out ideas on our main website DiscoverTuscany.com!!

Stay updated: FOLLOW us on Facebook!

Default Re: free parking just outside Florence

Hi Lourdes,

AWESOME SITE. NEVER MET ANYONE WHO KNOWS SO MUCH ABOUT PARKING! QUESTION: IS galluzzo a safe place to leave a car for two nites? We won't have anything in the car at all. Thx!

Ciao Poddiohead!

Well, we try to be informed so that we can answer all of the questions posed on here, they are pretty varied!

Yes, I'd definitely consider the parking lot at Galluzzo safe enough to leave the car for two nights - just make sure to check signs around that say if there are days when the adjoining streets get cleaned because generally on those nights, the area has to be empty to allow for street cleaning. You don't want to leave the car on one of those nights!
    What to see in Tuscany? Check out ideas on our main website DiscoverTuscany.com!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lourdes View Post
    Ciao Poddiohead!

Well, we try to be informed so that we can answer all of the questions posed on here, they are pretty varied!

Yes, I'd definitely consider the parking lot at Galluzzo safe enough to leave the car for two nights - just make sure to check signs around that say if there are days when the adjoining streets get cleaned because generally on those nights, the area has to be empty to allow for street cleaning. You don't want to leave the car on one of those nights!
    You really do know everything. I will check for that too, but if I do leave it there, maybe I get a free car wash as well?

Thanks you very much for your help. It's the second time i am visiting Florence and I'm sure I'll have a wonderful time in this wonderful city!! thank you very much!!!

Default Parking In Florence

I know this is last minute question but due to the rain in Italy right now our plans have been changed. We are driving to a place near Arezzo from Venice on Saturday March 30 (today) and instead of detouring to San Marino we would like to stop in Florence. However, we will have all of our luggage in the car and was wondering what our best, easiest and safest parking options are. I don't mind paying a little more since we will likely only be there about 4 hours. When we return another day we will take the train in from Arezzo since that seems easier although there are 5 of us so if you suggest driving from near Arezzo instead we would consider that if it is more cost effective and not too much trouble. I obviously don't want to make the mistake of driving into the restricted areas. Thanks so much.

Default Stay away from center....

.... but with luggage in the car stay where there's lots of people: piazzale Michelangelo and park closest to the center of the piazza where there are people and booths, that way your car isn't hidden or in a far corner. Lay luggage down in back seat foot area just so it isn't super visible and I think you'll do fine!

Enjoy Florence today, weather isn't great at all but it's normal for the season unfortunately!

Hello!
    I'm also here to thank this site for all the great tips!
    I'm planning to reach Florence by car from Panicale (Umbria) and visit the city during the 1st of May. Now, I would normally avoid driving on a national holiday, but my schedule is tight and I'd like to try... Question: would all the free parkings outside the city be full because of all the local tourists?
    I really like the idea of PONTE A GREVE parking, since it's near a tram station, but do you think I'd have any chance to park there on May 1?
    Any other advice is also welcome!

Default driving and parking on May1st should be alright

Ciao Teap and welcome to the forum!

May 1st is a holiday and, if the weather is nice, many people will spend their day off outdoors... but since it is a Wednesday, it is unlikely they will go very far. Many will work on Thursday and Friday.
    All shops will be closed (not restaurants, people do need to eat ;-) ) so you will have no problems at all in getting parking at Ponte a Greve parking lot (since it belongs to a shopping center and it will be closed).
    If you feel like it, you could drive closer to Florence - if you're here just for the day, you could attempt to park in Piazzale Michelangelo or on the streets below the piazzale. Turnover is pretty fast, so you'll find something even if it is full, just wait a little and you'll see someone leaving.
    I also don't think driving on that day should be particularly bad, as long as you set out early enough you'll just encounter those others who are also driving out for the day..... now if May 1st landed on a Thursday, it would be a different matter as lot of people would just take a 4 day long weekend holiday .

Share and Bookmark!