Train

JMFell

Hi All,

I was wondering where the train station is in Florence that would service a train from Paris. We are going to fly from Boston to Paris for a few days then take the train to Florence, rent a car and drive to Castellina. Also, is there a rental car office near the train station or do we have to take a cab to the airport to get a rental car. Thanks in advance,

Joe

Welcome back to the forum Joe!

All international trains arrive into the Santa Maria Novella train station and most car rentals are located just a few blocks away in the Borgo Ognissanti area - use this car rental search to do a general search, you'll see the locations listed are at the airport or in downtown Florence. It has all the major car rental agencies but you don't know through which one until after you make the reservation. It has good rates in general and all those downtown Florence agencies are just a few blocks from the SMN station. I wouldn't really recommend renting from the airport if the same company has an office downtown.

Will you be staying at the same farmhouse in Castellina or trying something new? :) Just curious, I've seen you've written you really loved the farmhouse where you stayed at last time.

Yes, at this time we are planning to return to the same farmhouse we really like the owners, the apartments and the location. Castellina is a great base as last year it was easy to drive to Pisa, Florence, Siena and Greve from there. This time we are going to be a little less touristy and relax walking around Florence, Siena and Greve again as well as some new towns for us like Radda, San Gimignano and maybe trying to find Sting's farm. Thanks for the help..

You're very welcome! Did you make it to the area south of Siena last time, to the Crete Senesi or Valdorcia? It could be another area you can head to, taking it more slowly and visiting the smaller towns without rushing. We really enjoy Pienza, even if it is really small - it makes for a nice day out, heading between the smaller villages and stopping to take pictures along the way. :)