Florence to Siena Suggestions

janez

Hello!
I'm in need of a little advice for a first timer to the Tuscany area.

We are coming from Naples to Florence by train on a Sunday, and staying near the Duomo for two nights. We were considering a three hour walking tour including the Accademia Gallery. Did I read that the museums are closed on Monday? If so, I'll need a plan B. That will be easy with all the good info I've read here.

On Tuesday, we will rent a car in Florence and drive to Sinalunga, outside of Siena for two nights. Do you know how early we can rent the car? We'd like to get an early start that day. Can you suggest an itinerary and/or towns to visit on our way?

Your help is appreciated!

Florence to Siena through Chianti

Ciao Janez,

Sounds like a good itinerary you have there! Yes, the Accademia and the Uffizi are the two major museums that are open on Sundays but closed on Mondays so you have to see whether you can do the tour on Sunday, otherwise you'll need to plan another museum on Monday. There are many other museums open on Mondays so it won't be hard to plan your day. You can also just walk around and end the day enjoying the view from Piazzale Michelangelo at sunset :)

How early you can rent the car depends on opening hours for the agency you're renting from. Since you're already downtown, it is likely that the easiest area to rent from in around Borgo Ognissanti, many of the car rental companies are concentrated in that area. It is likely they'll open either at 8am or 9am. If you wanted to rent earlier, I think you might have to rent from the airport in that case.....

As you drive to Sinalunga, I recommend you take the slow road there - the Chiantigiana road that leaves from through Grassina and heads to Greve in Chianti. You can stop at any of the villages you feel like stopping at.... the road continues on to Panzano, then to Castellina in Chianti - I'd recommend you head to Radda instead since it will get you heading in the direction of Sinalunga. How long you want to make the trip totally depends on you and how many stops you make. I'd leave Siena to one of your two days based in Sinalunga. In any case, you're crossing Chianti - you'll see lots of wineries and vineyards and you can stop along the way for lunch.

Are these suggestions useful? let me know if you have any other questions!! :) Hope you're having fun planning your trip!