Is Calcio Storico happening this year?

Wil

Ciao!

I am new to this forum, but I have lost of questions for all you lovely people out there! The first of which is whether the medieval "football" tournament Calcio Storico is happening in Florence this year (2012)? I read somewhere that it was not on last year.

If it is I would really appreciate some guidance on where to buy tickets, when it is happening and what to expect.

My wife and I are honeymooning in Tuscany from the 16th June to 4th July. We are spending the first week in a villa in Bagni Di Lucca, but are still planning the remainder of our trip. Our plan was to come into Florence for the second weekend (23rd-25th June), but we would like to know if this event is happening before we book. I have been researching a documentary series about the history of modern football so I would be particularly interested to see this event - it sounds and looks amazing.

I'm sure I will be posting more questions soon. :)

Wil and Ida,

Trondheim, Norway

Yes it is!

Ciao Wil,

The Calcio Storico Fiorentino finally announced their newly redesigned website (don't understand why they took the old one offline in the meantime though) that you can see here: Calcio Storico Fiorentino

It is still a work in progress, as I see many of the news are published in Italian but not in English.

Actually the game WAS played last year - it was in 2010 that it wasn't because of political/administrative conflicts.
As you're likely already read, the semi-finals are played in the earlier weeks in June, the final match is always on June 24 since it falls on Florence's patron saint day, St. John the Baptist. So I am sure you will be able to watch this very particular game!

You definitely should be in Florence on that day regardless - there is a beautiful parade in historical costume right before the game and at night you'll get to enjoy fireworks - best seats are along the Arno as the fireworks go off Piazzale Michelangelo.

Last year, tickets were sold on TicketOne - I am thinking that they'll appear on there this year as well as soon as the dates approach. Just keep checking the Calcio Storico website for updates.

Keep posting, we hope we can be of help! :)

Yes, it is fortunately only for locals. As a foreigner myself, it is hard for me to understand but it isn't just a game, the players are out there to win for their neighborhood at almost any cost. They all know each other, most I believe grow up within the teams really really feel it is more than just a game.

The games are quite violent, considering the mix of rugby, wrestling and boxing involved. Consider that head-butting, punching and kicking are permitted... but last year's final got a bit out of hand and many of the rules that do exist were broken. 20 players were disqualified and cannot play this year because of that.
So I think it is best that only those not afraid of physical injury for the love of their neighborhood "play". It is interesting to watch since it is said that modern football evolved from this so if you're in Florence in June, definitely plan to go to one of the matches.