Florence museums

italy2009

My wife and i are going to Florence June 14th-16th and need help with the following. We want to see the Duomo (Cathedral, Baptistery, Museum) and would like to climb the dome and/or the tower. What is the best time or way to do this? Is there a good tour to take?

Also we want to visit the Bargello and Medici Chapels. Any advice on booking this in advance (if even necessary) or the best way to do see these?

We are wanting to avoid the lines as much as possible so we can maximize what we can see.

Any other info that you think might be helpful would also be appreciated.

thanks

Last edited:
It isn't possible to book entrance into the Duomo or surrounding monuments (cathedral, baptistery, museum, tower, dome).
Check out the opening times here: http://www.operaduomo.firenze.it/english/opera/orari.asp
Don't go exactly at opening hour since you'll already find a line forming outside - but the best time to visit would still be mid-morning or late afternoon.

I'd do either the dome or the tower but not both - you have over 400 stairs to climb for each and no elevator. Both give you wonderful views of Florence.

There are many companies out there offering tours of Florence in general but for the duomo and the other monuments in the Piazza del Duomo, I'd go straight to them (cathedral administration).
The OPA Centro Arte e Cultura offers daily tours as well as special visits that you normally can't access (the terrace of the duomo, for example, is open to the public only once a year (Sept 8) and gives you a different view of both the tower and the dome as well as a view over all of Florence).
There is some information here http://www.operaduomo.firenze.it/cac/serv02.htm with times and costs for the daily tours - the information for now is only in Italian, unfortunately.
If you click on each monument, you'll see the cost - for example, the entrance fee plus guided tour for the Baptistery is 7 euro which is really good, considering the entrance ticket by itself is 4 euro.

Theoretically you can book online but I wasn't able to install the special plugin they require - probably easier to just email or call to get more details. It seems they also offer walking tours of the city center so it might be good to ask for more complete information.
artecultura@operaduomo.firenze.it
+39 055 282226

I've never encountered a line at the Bargello and just a short line at the Medici Chapels - you could book ahead paying the extra booking charge if you want the peace of mind of knowing you will skip any line. The official site for booking is: http://www.b-ticket.com/b-ticket/uffizi/default.aspx

June is generally warm, so try to be inside during the hottest parts of the day. Definitely do the tower or dome early or late in the day as opening times permit.

Thanks for the info. If there is anything else in Florence you feel we shouldn't miss let me know.

thanks again

I would just like to add that if you have the time, you should also see the inside of Palazzo Vecchio - the Salone dei Cinquecento and the monumental rooms are magnificent. I love the Map Room, one of the last rooms you get to - it is incredible to see the places found on these maps which date back to the 15th century and older.

Due to popular request, we've just finalized our partnership with Florence Tickets, long-time established agency offering tickets to all of the main museums in Florence. In this way you can also support our site as well; just click on the banner found at the bottom of this thread.

Hope your trip to Florence turns out wonderful! :)

museums Florence

My wife and i are going to Florence June 14th-16th and need help with the following. We want to see the Duomo (Cathedral, Baptistery, Museum) and would like to climb the dome and/or the tower. What is the best time or way to do this? Is there a good tour to take?

Also we want to visit the Bargello and Medici Chapels. Any advice on booking this in advance (if even necessary) or the best way to do see these?

We are wanting to avoid the lines as much as possible so we can maximize what we can see.

Any other info that you think might be helpful would also be appreciated.

thanks

Hello,

I strongly suggest you visit the three museums mentioned! They are all worth the lines, yet I feel I should also recommend another museum, in a famous Palazzo, called Palazzo Strozzi, the actual Palazzo is exceptionally beuatiful and rduring your stay, there's an exhibit on Galileo Galilei, breathtaking:
I'm sending you the link to the exhibit:

http://www.turismo.intoscana.it/int...rmanenti/visualizza_asset.html_684251954.html

In this site you will also find info on how to save time and book ahead!
Hope I've been helpfull.
oriana