Lucca to florence

Cipro

Have some questions to the forum.
Planning a day-visit from Lucca to Florence on Sat 5 May, 2012.
Reading on the forum it seems that the most convenient parking lot to park is Ponte a Greve, am I correct? And how do I enter this parking lot on GPS in order to get there?

How far is the tram station from this parking lot?
Where do we get off the tram in order to walk around the center of Florence?
We would like to see the city center, some shops – want to go to Ponte Vecchio, sit for a coffee (Piazza della Repubblica?) and maybe the Uffizi Gallery.

Thank you.

Florence Day trip from Lucca

Ciao Cipro!

Sorry it has taken me a week to answer but somehow I had missed your post!

The most convenient parking lot if you want free parking... it is further away from the center, but it is the easiest to get to by car.
From Lucca, you'll be on the A11 towards Florence. Shortly before arriving into Florence, you'll need to take the A1 south toward Rome for and exit at the Firenze-Scandicci exit.
You can enter "Via tristano codignola" and "Scandicci" as the town into your GPS.
What is really convenient about this parking lot (it is a large shopping center with supermarket and electronics store and other smaller shops) is that right across from it is the "Nenni-Torregalli" tram stop that in about 15 minutes takes you right into the center of Florence (tickets for the tram are the same ones you use for ATAF buses). You get off at the last exit, right in front of the SMN train station (stop is called Alamanni-Stazione) and from there you can pretty much walk everywhere on your itinerary.
Piazza della Repubblica has several coffee shops with tables on the piazza so it is a great place to people-watch. So is Piazza della Signoria ;-)