Firenze Card

I hate to start a new thread on the Firenze card, but I have questions.
I'll be in Florence for 10 days -- well, actually 6 because I plan to spend 3 in Rome and 1 in Pisa while there.
I want to visit as many museums as I have time for -- Uffizi, Accademia, obviously, but also what I can pack into the 3 days I have available. I am an Art History student, and I love the artwork from the Renaissance and Baroque eras.

I want to climb up into Brunelleschi's dome! From what I can understand, that is not included on the card, right?

Does anybody have a suggested itinerary that I should follow in order to get the most out of the Firenze card?
?
Also, is it safe to purchase tickets from florence-tickets.com? Or is it best to wait to get to Pisa to buy tickets?

You're right, the climb up to the top of Brunelleschi's dome is NOT included in the Firenze Card. (EDITED TO ADD: Dome, tower and baptistery are now part of the Firenze Card - read posts below to see more info)
As you can see from the information on the dome - the cost is 8 euro to climb up.

As far as in itinerary - take a look at this one: 3 days in Florence

Yes, Florence-Tickets.com is our partner as far as museum ticket sales go, including the Tower of Pisa. We can definitely vouch for it being safe to buy from.... and as far as the tower tickets, I'd recommend buying ahead of time if you're going to be in Pisa for just a few hours because then you're assured of having the tickets for the specific time you want to go up.... if on the other hand you don't know when you'll go or if you're spending the whole day there, then you can wait and buy them there. They'll tell you at the ticket office when slots are open, but it could mean in 2 or 3 hours time so that is why it totally depends on your schedule and what you're planning to do. I highly recommend spending the whole day there and getting to see more of Pisa than just the piazza (many just see the monuments from the outside and never go in but they are worth visiting - get the multiple pass ticket if you have the time!).

Thank you VERY much!
The 3-day itinerary is exactly what I was looking for! I took all day yesterday drafting one, and it's nothing like what you have. I will rework what I have now.

I have a whole day planned for Pisa. I've been there once before back in 1992, but nobody could go to the top of the tower. My son was a baby and I have a photo of him in his walker with the tower in the background. I want the same photo with my now 22-year old "baby" ;)

I have planned to be at the Pizzale Michelangelo with my camera for the sunset. Can I use a tripod up there? I haven't decided if I'm going to bother carrying it or not. Also, what time do the busses stop? Is it safe walking back to the Duomo area after dark?

Oh! One more question about the Accademia and Uffizi galleries -- Do you think we'll have to wait long to get in with our Firenze cards in mid-July?

I've been reading through the threads in this forum, and I do appreciate all the information you have shared here.

Ciao Melany - WOW, returning to Pisa with your son sounds wonderful - the same picture but 20 years later will be awesome!

You can definitely use a tripod at the piazzale! buses stop around midnight, but already after 10pm the time between each of the last buses is longer. Florence is definitely a pretty safe city, there are always people out until late - remember dinner here starts at 8pm but can run a few hours, it isn't unheard of to be out until 11-12pm ;-)
Area round Duomo is really safe but definitely stick to the main streets since that's where there is people and lights... avoid the tiny narrow medieval streets if they're dark - not that anything might happen, likely nothing, but it will make you feel better to just be safe ;-).
The Firenze cards have their own separate entrance but in July it is likely there still might be a short line there as well... but I don't think it should be long, you'll be fine!

Glad you're finding the forum useful, I like to help out and makes me happy to do so :)

You're right planlos, thanks for pointing it out! the Firenze card site was redone just a few weeks ago (it was blue and white and not red) and the cupola (dome), bell tower and baptistery were not listed so it seems the site just hadn't been updated. I'll make a mental note and go check that article linked above from January as it will surely need to be updated!

So there you go Melany: the dome is included :)

Thank you for the updated info about the dome -- I'll update my itinerary.
The Firenze site is so hard to read! I do not like the colors. I printed out the brochure, and it's still hard to read -- and too small. If only they had used white letters on the red background, instead of black.

My son was born in Pordenone (Fruili region) in 1991, and we returned to the States when he was 3. I'm happy to bring him back where he was born, but we will not have time to go to Pordenone or Aviano where we lived :-(

I'm looking at the trains from Florence to Roma, and it seems like the Italo has the best price. I'll be purchasing the ticket online before leaving home.

I agree, the colors on the new site are not user friendly! Liked the old one's much better.... but that's why I copied the list here at the end: http://www.visitflorence.com/florence-museums/is-firenze-card-worth-it.html

3 is young to have left Italy, I wonder if he remembers any of it. I am sure you'll both have a great time traveling through old places and him rediscovering them as an adult. You were at the base in Aviano then? Is this the first time you're returning to Italy since you both left as well? You'll notice lots of changes, and then lots of things that have certainly remained the same.

Definitely compare Italo fares to the Trenitalia ones, as a new competitor they offer good sales and I've heard great reviews so far on service. Hope you let us know how everything turns out :)